AK Sheep Specific First Aid Kit

There’s a great thread currently over in the General Discussion page on “putting some thought into your first aid kit“. That thread got me thinking about my upcoming AK Dall hunt and updating my own first aid kit organization.

With that in mind, what are your kit must-haves on a sheep hunt in remote and mountainous conditions where everyone also spends a lot of time here on the sheep forum specifically talking about minimizing weight and bulk?

Viper*6

FNG
Besides having the items for sore muscles, aches, pains, headaches and blisters, consider wraps for knees, ankles and elbows if you get banged up. Include some band aids for scratches and cuts. If you really go all out, take a compact trauma kit.

In the General section, “Put Some Thought into your first aid Kit” has a good list.

I always bring what I would need after getting mauled by a bear. Bloodclot, wound staple kit, large bandages/wraps. Skimp on weight to make up for it by leaving other comfort shit if you need to. Extra underwear/pillow/etc.

DBMR

FNG
Having the right stuff available is vitally important. It's like the saying when picking out an everyday carry pistol........no pistol is too small when carrying it, but no pistol is too big when you need to use it. Same with a wilderness first aid kit. Keep that in mind when choosing items.

In my pack for backcountry Alaska hunts:
InReach
Quick Clot, staple stitches gun and correct steel stitches (or surgical suture kit I prefer due to weight but I know how to use it), steri-strips for more minor cuts, small amount of various size band aids, Dr Scholls oval blister specific waterproof bandages, over the counter pain meds various types, if your doctor will prescribe; a major narc pain killer to be used in an emergency situation only (in a backcountry situation it may be the only thing that will help you continue ambulatory movement to your backcountry pickup point saving your life........I've saved my unused narc prescriptions when I had surgery for potential situations like this) and a multitude of antibiotics.

Personal 24hr cell phone number to a legitimate trauma/ER doctor, nurse or paramedic is a huge bonus as well to reach out to on your InReach in an emergency situation.

I want all the above to fit in a soft ball size waterproof bag at most.

Lastly......it is just as important to know how to effectively use all the above items. A wilderness backcountry weeklong course is very beneficial. All of my guides that work for me will have to have this course before I hire them or some military/first responder type medical training.

Last edited:

deadwolf

WKR
- Cat T tourniquet,
- zip stitch wound closure kit (or suture kit if you know how to do them)
- halo chest seal,
- quick clot,
- Israeli bandage.
- Garmin in reach : )

First aid kit has numerous small items for small wounds/blister etc. but I wouldn’t leave the items above behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t carry any med supplies that I haven’t trained with. The NOLS WFR course was a good entry point. Practice improvising splits, slings, before it happens. Leukotape, gauze, tourniquet, and various OTC meds is a realistic med kit. We’ve done sutures back at base camp, but speciality long term care med supplies is not realistic from a solo backpack hunter perspective.

Snyd

WKR
Band aides, gauze, duct tape, etc. for cuts. blah blah... the usual.. Knowledge and a SPOT or InReach

RX Anti-nausea if you can get it and OTC anti-diarhea.

If you get the squirts from both ends and can't hydrate your hunts over.

Mine have saved two different partners on two different hunts.

Craig4791

WKR
No different than any other backpack hunt personally.

Bandaids
Fire starter
Excedrine
neosporin
alchohol swabs
extra headlamp
water treatment tabs
gauze
tape

OP
bluemaroon
Excellent feedback and much appreciated.

There's a lot of little items and suggestions here that really make Rokslide valuable. @DBMR and @Kyle Hamilton 's comments on taking a WFR course is definitely something that I've been considering that would be valuable not only in AK but everywhere else.

I'm probably overthinking it a bit but with the remoteness and potential weather impacting bush flights vs hunting mountains in areas like Colorado that are potentially closer/more accessible to outside help if needed, I feel like putting the extra thought into preparation could be a difference maker if a situation arose. With all the time and money going into this hunt, no reason to cut corners here.

Last edited:

cbeard64

WKR
I carry the basic first aid stuff plus my local doc prescribes me some steroids/painkillers in case my back goes out and some anti-nausea/diarrhea meds.

I used to carry a lot more like anti-clot stuff, burn gel, tourniquet, etc. but don’t anymore primarily because of the extra bulk. I may regret that one day but I hope not….

deadwolf

WKR
I have been a firefighter for 25 years and have seen first hand how quickly the unexpected can happen. I personally don’t want to be that far from help without the ability to stop some major bleeding. A tourniquet, chest seal, and quick clot are such a small weight penalty. I’m gonna carry them 100% of the time.

In total I think I have maybe 12ozs in medical gear for a backpack hunt, I’d have to check my spreadsheet.

To the guys carrying TQs it is critical to know how long a properly applied TQ can stay on before permanent damage occurs. 2-3 hours is okay; 6 hours is acceptable; beyond that not much is known. 16 hours is the longest I have heard of without permanent damage, sample size of one. Most bleeding can be stopped with pressure, not every wound needs a TQ. In remote country where it could be days before a plane can get you to a hospital, this should be included in the decision making.

deadwolf

WKR
To the guys carrying TQs it is critical to know how long a properly applied TQ can stay on before permanent damage occurs. 2-3 hours is okay; 6 hours is acceptable; beyond that not much is known. 16 hours is the longest I have heard of without permanent damage, sample size of one. Most bleeding can be stopped with pressure, not every wound needs a TQ. In remote country where it could be days before a plane can get you to a hospital, this should be included in the decision making.

Absolutely correct, but when you need a TQ, you really need it. Better to apply it if warranted and attempt to get the help you need rather than think about timelines.