Anaerobic in Cardio Heart Rate

Poser

WKR
I'll give it stab:

It creates an "afterburner" effect of Excess Post Exercise Oxygen Consumption.

This means that for the next 12-36 hours (depending on other factors such as your body type and conditioning level), your body is burning excess calories in a state of rest/recovery.

It can increase your V02 max, though most experts agree that your V02 max is largely determined by genetics, so most people can only improve their V02 max a limited amount, however, you can increase your anaerobic threshold (the point where you switch from aerobic to anaerobic) which has obvious performance benefits. You may also be able to increase the amount of time you can sustain an anaerobic state which also has obvious performance benefits.

Assuming you have an aerobic base, many people find that they can significantly increase the amount of time that they are able to perform aerobically by training anaerobically. In the simplest terms, you can call this using Interval Training to promote LSD performance. This discussion tends to create passionate debate amongst different camps. It does appear that anaerobic training is rather sport specific and not a substitute for skill work within that specific sport. In other words, don't do a bunch of hard sprint intervals and necessarily expect to be able to reasonably swim aerobically for 5 miles. Likewise, doing anaerobic swimming sprints does not necessarily translate directly into increased performance in a 5k.

In my opinion, Anaerobic training can be deceiving because it is so short. It requires more recovery time than is often obvious to the athlete. As a result, mixing significant quantities of anaerobic and aerobic training is not productive for many people because they are doing aerobic exercise while still in a state of recovery from the anaerobic training. That's just my opinion, though and can be the subject of much debate, bro science, know it alls, and people with better than average genetics who also have strong opinions based on empiricism. its best to cross referance from neutral sources and experiment on your own.

Last edited:
OP
Brandon Pattison
Some of my workouts are weights but I don't do high weight, but more high heart rate. It can be achieved by not resting long enough. You are way above my head with your response. LOL Thanks, bud. I will try to upload some videos for the WOD. The weights that I use are only what we have at work so I cannot go higher in intensity unless I do more reps and rest less. Does that make sense?

rhendrix

WKR
I'll give it stab:

It creates an "afterburner" effect of Excess Post Exercise Oxygen Consumption.

This means that for the next 12-36 hours (depending on other factors such as your body type and conditioning level), your body is burning excess calories in a state of rest/recovery.

It can increase your V02 max, though most experts agree that your V02 max is largely determined by genetics, so most people can only improve their V02 max a limited amount, however, you can increase your anaerobic threshold (the point where you switch from aerobic to anaerobic) which has obvious performance benefits. You may also be able to increase the amount of time you can sustain an anaerobic state which also has obvious performance benefits.

Assuming you have an aerobic base, many people find that they can significantly increase the amount of time that they are able to perform aerobically by training anaerobically. In the simplest terms, you can call this using Interval Training to promote LSD performance. This discussion tends to create passionate debate amongst different camps. It does appear that anaerobic training is rather sport specific and not a substitute for skill work within that specific sport. In other words, don't do a bunch of hard sprint intervals and necessarily expect to be able to reasonably swim aerobically for 5 miles. Likewise, doing anaerobic swimming sprints does not necessarily translate directly into increased performance in a 5k.

In my opinion, Anaerobic training can be deceiving because it is so short. It requires more recovery time than is often obvious to the athlete. As a result, mixing significant quantities of anaerobic and aerobic training is not productive for many people because they are doing aerobic exercise while still in a state of recovery from the anaerobic training. That's just my opinion, though and can be the subject of much debate, bro science, know it alls, and people with better than average genetics who also have strong opinions based on empiricism. its best to cross referance from neutral sources and experiment on your own.

It's funny you mention the fact that anaerobic exercise doesn't have an effect on aerobic capacity, I read just the opposite several days ago. Anaerobic exercise promotes the growth of more mitochondria and larger capillary beds, which translates to the better aerobic and anaerobic capacity. I'll have to dig to find it, as I read somewhere while researching crossfit endurance. I know it was in a published journal, but I swear I can't remember where.

I'm currently in the process of timing my recovery times in between interval efforts and tracking my heart rate, my max HR is 188, I'm taxed to the max at 179-181, and it takes me around 2.3-3 minutes to get my heart rate down to 120. I'm hoping I find over the next several months that the amount of time it takes me to get back down to 120 has significantly decreased, and if that recovery time correlates to better aerobic fitness (my baseline will be a 5k time trial).

Poser

WKR
I didn't say that anaerobic training does not effect your aerobic capacity. I said that it does (but not everyone agrees on that). The main point there, as I understand it, it that your VO2 max tends to be sport specific.

I personally have found great results using interval training.

rhendrix,

High intensity interval training is one of your best tools to use to prepare for hunting at high altitude. As I recall, you're a Midwest guy? It'll pay huge dividends for you. Just make sure that it isn't the entirety of your program.

rhendrix

WKR
I didn't say that anaerobic training does not effect your aerobic capacity. I said that it does (but not everyone agrees on that). The main point there, as I understand it, it that your VO2 max tends to be sport specific.

I personally have found great results using interval training.

Sorry, I misread, guess that's what I get for trying to multi-task three things at once.

Take a look at this article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17414804

Anaerobic (interval) training increases VO2max largely due to its effect on increased stroke volume (I know the title of the article is aerobic high-intensity..., but training at 90-95% HRmax is anaerobic). Brandon, I hope this answers your question of "what effect does anaerobic cardio have." Granted, the sample size in the study is fairly small (40 total, 10 to each 4 training groups). As Poser said, VO2max is largely determined by genetic predisposition. But, we can influence stroke volume (the volume of blood pumped from the heart during a single ventricular contraction) through training, and increased stroke volume directly correlates with increased VO2max.