Ankle Pain...

I've been doing the MTN Tough Pre-Season Prep 2.0 this year and have been a huge fan of it. I've been having legit, sharp pain in my outer ankle any time i do the incline sprints. It feels like shin splints, but is around the round ankle bone on the outside of my leg. Anyone else experienced this or have any advice? It doesn't seem to bother me during rucks, or any other activity. I'm kind of at a loss and a bit frustrated with it. Tendonitis? An old injury? Age? Thanks guys!

Poser

WKR
Could be impingement, could be tendinitis. Really difficult to say, but, at a minimum, I would cease the activity causing the pain.

That being said, my experience is that the actual point of pain is seldom the source of the problem.

Listen to your body. If it hurts, stop doing it.

I've done some of the mountain tough things in the past, and I don't have anything negative to say about them, but the most important thing you can do is spend time in your pack with weight in it, while wearing your boots. Find some hills and hike up and down with a weighted pack (work your way up to 50#).

Check ankle dorsiflexion ( toes flex toward the ceiling) range of motion by standing and place your foot onto a hard chair. You should have 25 degrees angle of inclination (angle from the bone in the lateral foot and the shin bone) without Turning your foot outward. If you do not you are likely creating impingement at the later joint space by everting your foot to compensate during inclined activities. Work on ankle dorsiflexion range by stretching your calf (gastroc and soleus) and doing ankle dorsiflexion joint mobilizations from the same chair position you checked ankle DF angle of inclination. Mnttough may have some other techniques in their platform. Try stiff boots with a high drop to get through this season. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk