Another breakfast option!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been trying to come up with some new options for breakfast, as I am getting tired of oatmeal. We did some granola on our goat hunt last fall, but it was almost too sweet, and besides that pretty spendy. This afternoon I made a double batch of my own cranberry coconut granola:

795EEB65-B694-4E04-9BAD-AC69571B532B-3878-0000024C827AD012_zpse769c2ad.jpg

I ended up using oats, dry quinoa (which adds an awesome nutty flavor and crunch), wheat chex cereal, shredded coconut, almonds, and craisens. I was able to cut down on the sugar some by using unsweetened applesauce and honey, although there is still a little brown sugar in the recipe as well. At about 40 calories per oz (or 320 calories per 1 cup serving) this should be a good way to start the day during backpack season. For in the field, i will probably prep some bags dry and some with powdered milk to make it more like breakfast cereal...

unm1136

WKR
Careful with the quinoa. Make sure you buy pre-rinsed. If you get the bulk stuff from the bins, and it is not rinsed, you will never eat it again!

pat

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Careful with the quinoa. Make sure you buy pre-rinsed. If you get the bulk stuff from the bins, and it is not rinsed, you will never eat it again!

pat

So I am told! I typically buy my quinoa in the green bag at Costco...although it is prerinsed, I still rinse it at home before we eat it. The quinoa in the granola was rinsed and drained, and added to my other dry ingredients uncooked.

i to am kinda tired of instant oat meal or pop tarts. so i have been working on another option that i think is ready. You can buy the Gallon size cans of instant potatoes shreds at walmart. I take 6oz of instant potato shreds, add 1/2 pack biskit and gravy mix, then i dehydrated jimmy dean sausage diced up and added a good two table spoons. All this goes into a zip lock bag. At camp I take zip lock and place contents into an empty moun tain house bag to re-constitue with my hot water. Wait 8-10 just like a mountain house meal and its ready to go. Only hard part is the sausage. Took all day in my dehydrater, and then I place the dehydrated sausage diced up in a freezer bag and freeze untill a few days before my trip. Then add it to the bag of shreds and gravy. Tastes great and very inexpensive to make.

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
i to am kinda tired of instant oat meal or pop tarts. so i have been working on another option that i think is ready. You can buy the Gallon size cans of instant potatoes shreds at walmart. I take 6oz of instant potato shreds, add 1/2 pack biskit and gravy mix, then i dehydrated jimmy dean sausage diced up and added a good two table spoons. All this goes into a zip lock bag. At camp I take zip lock and place contents into an empty moun tain house bag to re-constitue with my hot water. Wait 8-10 just like a mountain house meal and its ready to go. Only hard part is the sausage. Took all day in my dehydrater, and then I place the dehydrated sausage diced up in a freezer bag and freeze untill a few days before my trip. Then add it to the bag of shreds and gravy. Tastes great and very inexpensive to make.

I might just have to try this! I would likely dehydrate some venison breakfast sausage we have on hand, or maybe go with bacon bits or precooked bacon.

I admit that it'd probably be more work than I am up for during hunting season, due to the high volume of meals we require. But for earlier season backpacking or scouting trips it would be a great option!

Thats awesome Becca! I hate cooking in the morning so this is a great idea. Just add some water for the powdered milk and away you go. I've done similar stuff with pre-bought cereal but would like to do something like this instead. Would like to get some dried strawberries/bananas to add to it though ;)

Mike

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thats awesome Becca! I hate cooking in the morning so this is a great idea. Just add some water for the powdered milk and away you go. I've done similar stuff with pre-bought cereal but would like to do something like this instead. Would like to get some dried strawberries/bananas to add to it though ;)

Mike

Agreed! I got a #10 can of banana chips in the "food storage" section at Walmart awhile back, they had strawberries as well...I will have to try that with the next batch!

Mike 338

WKR
I've been experimenting with dehydrated steel cut oatmeal. Many options such as banana/strawberry and maple/brown sugar. Not a fan of instant.

Ray

WKR
Since I am a paleo eater I have to come up with something that is not wheat based.

This mornings experimental hot breakfast is "cream of wild rice".

Cook and dehydrate your rice - tru roots sprouted rice and quinoa was what I had pre made.

Prep the dehydrated rice in a food processor with a grind function. Grind it down to rice "pearls" and dust.

1/3 cup rice grind
2 table spoons powdered milk
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
1/4 cup craisins
1 to 2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 cup boiling water

Let it set for a few minutes to rehydrate the rice grind. Unless boiled it will not come back to soft squishy rice or pudding. It will be edible and crunchy.

For the rice base if you start off with plain white rice that is over cooked then dehydrated you might end up with base that is more pudding like. I don't know if you could get any rice base to rehydrate with cold water.

littlebuf

Banned
i cant eat oatmeal any time of year much less out hunting. my fav is two kind bars and a jif single. washed down with some creek water and breakfast is done. no cooking, no fuss ,time to hunt

Ray

WKR
I've also been making everyday paleo date/fruit and nut bars. Very similar to Lara Bars. Lots of calories and really good for on the move snacks.

The date and cherry bars I changed up using macadamia nuts rather than cashews or pecans. With the coconut flakes and oil these are pack a huge amount of energy. these go well with a cup of coffee. Leaves me tweaking and needing to go do something.

http://everydaypaleo.com/everyday-paleo-fruit-n-nut-bars/

I might just have to try this! I would likely dehydrate some venison breakfast sausage we have on hand, or maybe go with bacon bits or precooked bacon.

I admit that it'd probably be more work than I am up for during hunting season, due to the high volume of meals we require. But for earlier season backpacking or scouting trips it would be a great option!

Becca, and everyone else,

I have been doing something similar for a while now, sort of a sweet and savory take on oatmeal. I either use a pack of instant oatmeal or some from the tall cylinder box of Quaker oats, mixed in some instant milk, a small box (or two) of raisins, and some shelf stable bacon bits (like Hormel makes). Mix that with hot water, let it sit, and you have a great breakfast.

I have also been thinking about making a beefed up oatmeal and raisin cookie to use for breakfast, sort of like a round breakfast bar, with the same ingredients so it would be easier to pack/eat and no cleanup involved.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
2 ea Thomas Bagels (cinnamon raisin) = 540 cals. Rich with complex carbs and protein. Add another 220 cals of peanut butter or 100 cals butter and you have a solid breakfast that's quick, no fuss, and sticks with your for 4-5 hours.

Granola and cranberries are sweet and contain mostly simple carbs...not the best source for sustained energy value. The quinoa adds natural plant protein, good call, but much of it gets passed out of your stool before complete digestion, so that seems to be a slightly wasted food source, IMO.

The best breakfast food will contain fat, protein, and complex carbs.