Antlerless Hunting - Cows w/ calves, Does w/ fawns...

Scorpion

WKR
I generally try to wait until the January late season for whitetail does, as the fawns will be old enough to get picked up by the herd. Have also shot plenty of young deer in some of our units that are management hunts.

I have also passed on lots of archery opportunities when a doe has had fawns with her. No objections or concerns if someone does it differently.

The few times we have cow hunted the elk were in a small herd and I don’t think it made much of a difference either way.

The virtue signaling here is interesting.
Personally I try not to shoot a cow with a calf but if it comes to putting meat in the freezer or not I will take care of my own.
Easy for me to say when I am hunting Dec/Jan when the little ones aren't really dependent on mama.
I also think the remorse/second thought on that decision is important. That's what makes us human and separates us from animals.
Agreed. Shot a big dry cow this winter. Had a baby inside. I didn’t like that but it’s just part of how the world works. Organic free range. Self processed. Doesn’t get any better than that.