Any Experience w/Off-Grid Trailers?

Thinking about taking the plunge and dropping some cash on a fully off-road camp trailer. That said, it would easily be the single largest investment in hunting kit (versatility not withstanding) I’ve ever considered.

With the wealth of knowledge of the Rokslide membership, I am curious, what, if any, experiences have been had with Off-Grid Trailers? Specifically their Explorer 2.0 model.

Off-Grid Explorer 2.0

My hunting style is typically a 12 man tipi at base camp (cots and wood stove), with a 3-4 day spike camp set-up carried in on foot. A return to base camp for resupply/good rest 1-2x in a 10 day rifle hunt. I am thinking something more secure, and more mobile, than the tipi as a base camp might make sense - especially after experiencing significant cold/snowfall in our initial hunting location during CO first rifle last year. I don’t want to fight the length/height challenges of a full sized trailer in those conditions, but am thinking something like this square-drop might be perfect for my 10 yr old son and I with flexibility to meet our needs at least until he graduates from high school.

Anyone have any real world experience with this trailer? At the price point, am I nuts for even considering it?

bobr1

WKR
If you don't get a lot of responses here I would recommend checking out Expedition Portal, if you haven't already found it. It's like the Rokslide of over-landing, there are a ton of people with a lot of experience with the off-road trailers.

Expedition Portal

come2elmo

WKR
In the process of building one now. If you see a Silverado with a potential
Lay pink and olive drab primer painted trailer don’t laugh.... it is still in beta. Or if you see it on the side of the road it is yours to have....

rob86jeep

WKR
No experience here but I can't imagine how the price of a new build would ever be worth it. You could buy a diesel Excursion and outfit it with a mattress in the back with all the supplies the trailer has stored inside or on top for about 15k probably. While those trailers are nice and i've looked at them before online, I could never imagine paying that much money for one.

Now, if I had unlimited funds with money burning a hole in my pocket, I might take another look. But even then, a regular pull behind camper would be way more comfortable and a lot cheaper, it would just limit the places you could travel a little more.

turk870

FNG
I have no experience with that brand.

We have an offroad teardrop made by a company called Vintage Trailer Works. We absolutely love it. We mostly use it for weekend camping and kayaking trips. We will be using it in a few weeks for 1st rifle in Colorado. So far I have had no issues with getting it anywhere the truck will go.

OP
A
Thanks for the responses. I’ll check out the Expedition Portal and look into Vintage Trailer Works.

I would love to build one of these myself, but time is scarce these days and by the time I would invest in the tools I’d like to have to pull off a build, I’m likely to be money ahead just biting the bullet and buying one that is already complete.

turfking

FNG
I acquired an enclosed trailer that my father in law gave me...how can you say no! It is 7 x 12 with tandem 225 10 ply tires set into the box to make it ride like a 6 footer. I added a small counter top...with water pump, small sink and lights. I also added 12v and 120 (off of generater). With two cots it is pretty comfortable for a base camp. I fell into the same thing in Colorado last year...planned to camp and move around the mountains...but a 20 degree bag..snow and 0 to 15 temps pushed me to sleep in the front of my truck. This year my son is going so I need some source of base camp for security and also wanted it mobile. I have plans of adding a small chest freezer and a thermostat to regulate the temp to 34..35 degrees. DIY saves money and you can add as you go to build what you need or like.

CorbLand

WKR
I acquired an enclosed trailer that my father in law gave me...how can you say no! It is 7 x 12 with tandem 225 10 ply tires set into the box to make it ride like a 6 footer. I added a small counter top...with water pump, small sink and lights. I also added 12v and 120 (off of generater). With two cots it is pretty comfortable for a base camp. I fell into the same thing in Colorado last year...planned to camp and move around the mountains...but a 20 degree bag..snow and 0 to 15 temps pushed me to sleep in the front of my truck. This year my son is going so I need some source of base camp for security and also wanted it mobile. I have plans of adding a small chest freezer and a thermostat to regulate the temp to 34..35 degrees. DIY saves money and you can add as you go to build what you need or like.
This is my plan when I get room to store a trailer. I want something that I can sleep in, stay warm and pull a UTV. Plan on flipping the axle for some extra clearance, put a bathroom and small kitchen. Add lights and heat. It will be perfect for late season hunts.

turfking

FNG
This is my plan when I get room to store a trailer. I want something that I can sleep in, stay warm and pull a UTV. Plan on flipping the axle for some extra clearance, put a bathroom and small kitchen. Add lights and heat. It will be perfect for late season hunts.
My 12' is kinda small for a complete setup...7 foot wide is really nice with E trac you can add bunks. If I had bought one I was looking at a 7 x 14 or 7 x 16 with a 6' 6" height. I kinda wish it had springs to flip, but it has torsion ....which does ride really nicely especially when driving from Delaware.