Any WKRs live in/near Rapid City SD?

Currently living in Houston, moved here to be by MD Anderson, they have given my wife two extra years, they have been rough ones, but still two extra, but getting very near the end now.

Other than that I hate Houston, save we have a great gun club that gets me out to 1k.

I am retired and can take my retirement consulting gig anywhere, it is remote work.

I have a duck hunting place in ND, and deer place in Kansas.

I hunt about everything and have a great young bird dog.

I lived all across the country, MI, OK, IL, GA, FL and Va.

Thinking RC might be a good placed based on central location, taxes, decent size, health care, inheritance taxes, conservative govt and hunting opportunities.

Would like to talk to anyone that lives there and is will to chat about the general positives and negatives of it.

Just pm me and I can send my cell or send me yours.

Thanks all. Spence

OP
S
Btt. No one? Just want some general info. Not looking for hunting honey holes. Lol

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I live a couple hours south of Rapid and lived there for a summer in college. Currently my brother is living there. If I had to live in a city it definitely be my first pick. I has a lot of the conveniences of living in a city but has less problems than most it’s size or bigger. SD has better taxes than most and one of the lowest cost of living.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gabenzeke

WKR
Wish I could help. I live in Iowa, but my son's hockey schedule takes us to SD and ND frequently and both states seem like they'd be great places to live.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Lytro

WKR
I live a few miles outside of Rapid. Send a PM if you want.

There is a general misconception that South Dakota "has better taxes than most and one of the lowest cost of living." Some areas of the state and perhaps at one time that was true, but anywhere in the Black Hills area that is just not accurate. Yes, we don't pay a state income tax, however, property taxes definitely make up for that. Honestly, I had a lower cost of living when I was in Minnesota than in SD. With that said, it was one of the best moves I've made.

OP
S
I am at almost 3.5 percent property taxes in Houston. The SD average is 1.08. I’ll take that.

xsn10s

WKR
My buddy moved from Eastern Oregon to Spearfish about two-three years ago. The first winter he fell into a pretty bad depression because of the cold and not being able to deal with it. Now he can't ever think of moving back.

OP
S
40 plus days in a row with over 105 heat index here and no rain did the same to me this summer. Lol