Anybody owned SIG Zulu 9s and Maven B series (Abbe Koneg ones) and Vortex Razor UHDs at the same time or at least compared them side by side?

Hotmail

Lil-Rokslider
Are the Zulu 9s at least equal to the higher priced Mavens and noticeably better than the way higher priced Razor UHDs?

OP
H

Hotmail

Lil-Rokslider
WHY did it double post plz delete this duplicate post. Thank you.

deer310sg

Lil-Rokslider
I do own the b.2 9x45's. Have not, and won't own the UHD's. From what reviewers and others have said the b2's are every bit as good or better and priced.
These b2 are the best glass, higher end binos I have owned. Absolutely awesome binos. My 1st purchase of higher end glass to me.
I've owned a couple pairs of vortex, not impressed. The pairs I have owned...gone.

Last edited:
Subscribing, new member in the market for new glass myself. Also looking at comparisons between Sig Zulu, maven and Vortex.

Always funny how so many people can see such differences in the same binocs.

nobody

WKR
I used Razor UHD 10x50’s for 3 years. They were an amazing piece of glass that vastly improved my glassing experience and ability, and I stand by my assessment that if Swarovski had released them instead of vortex and called them the “SLC-2.0” the world would unquestionably refer to them as Alpha.

That said, I just picked up a pair of 11x45 Maven B2’s on a smoking deal from a member on here. I compared them side by side for about 10 days before deciding to sell the Razors. The differentiator ended up being the color rendition through the Mavens, much bolder colors and better contrast than the UHD’s, and even EL’s (to my eyes). Brightness and edge to edge was close between the 2, but I liked the more vibrant colors through the Mavens. So I sold the UHD’s and kept them B2’s. I could’ve kept the UHD’s and been happy, but I have a crippling case of GAD (gear acquisition disorder) along with some ADHD that means I just get curious and fixated on an idea and cycle through stuff.

I can confidently and happily recommend either the B2’s or UHD’s at any price point. I even prefer both of them over Swaro and Zeiss glass, but I’m weird.

Never looked through Sig’s competition to these 2 optics, and I have no desire to. Personal reasons for that opinion, so take that for what it’s worth.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hotmail

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a specific question assuming both are equally in minty condition... A used Maven B5 15x56 for $1050 - $1100 or a used SIG Zulu 9 15x56 for $650 - $700?
I have read that the SIGS used to sell for $600-$700 brand new from Midway USA in the past any truth to this? While Maven supposed to be direct to consumer without any middle man markups how is this possible that SIG can use a middle man Midway USA to sell them so for cheap assuming they're the same Binoculars with different outer design?

I don’t know their specific position but I can try to explain some of that.

Either way, both will cost you money. You can pay someone to be your distribution network or you can do it yourself. Either option requires a certain amount of capital investment. To sell direct requires a lot of additional overhead so it may not really be cheaper. You have to own warehouses, people, and IT systems to support. It just depends on how well you manage either process that determines which is most economical. Usually it requires a pretty extensive network to go direct so you can manage the thousands of extra transactions so it really may not be much cheaper in the end

nobody

WKR
Here's a specific question assuming both are equally in minty condition... A used Maven B5 15x56 for $1050 - $1100 or a used SIG Zulu 9 15x56 for $650 - $700?
I have read that the SIGS used to sell for $600-$700 brand new from Midway USA in the past any truth to this? While Maven supposed to be direct to consumer without any middle man markups how is this possible that SIG can use a middle man Midway USA to sell them so for cheap assuming they're the same Binoculars with different outer design?
I would 1000% buy the mavens, sheerly because of their track record and history of happy customers compared to the Sig’s. I’ve never talked to, seen anybody, or heard of anybody, across multiple states, multiple seasons, different species and conditions, who has ever used Sig binos. Rangefinders? Sure. More recently, image stabilizing? Absolutely. But sig isn’t known for their binos. Just because they use the same prisms as maven and likely come from the same OEM DOES NOT mean they are the same optic. Both companies spec their own “secret sauce” to the OEM such as coatings and armor and such, which gives a very different user experience and viewing experience. Maven has millions of customers who are huge fans of their sauce after 12 years of business, and I’ve NEVER even seen an sig bino user in field or real life. Heck, after 4 years on Rokslide, I can count on one hand the number of guys I’ve read say they use Sig binos. There has to be a reason for that.

Oh and that price on the Sig’s from midway USA you mention was from when Midway clearanced/liquidated the standard 9 and 11x versions a few years ago. Before that, they were selling for $5-$700 more if I remember correctly. At the time, mavens comparable product was selling for $1k (B2’s). So yes, until midway clearanced them, mavens direct to consumer pricing model saved you some money.

You’ve also got to think that, if specs between the 2 are comparable, and one is selling used for double the price of the other, there HAS to be a reason. I can buy a Nissan Titan for a lot less money than a tundra or an F150. On paper the Titan is a great truck with solid specs and impressive horsepower/torque numbers. But when I get in a Titan, there is an INSANE difference in the user experience compared with a Tundra.

If the few hundred bucks is a huge deal breaker to you, buy the Titan (Sig). But stop and be reeeeeeeeeeally honest with yourself and ask, will you always wonder what you’re missing out on or will the rattling door panels and road noise bother you in the Titan, and will you eventually just end up forking out more money for the Tundra (Maven).