Approximate Drops & Acceptable Accuracy

TX_Diver

WKR
New as of this year to muzzleloaders. Thanks to @sabotloader for a ton of help and advice over the past few months.

What is everyone looking for as far as accuracy in a muzzleloader w/ open sights? So far with the muzzleloader my 6-8 shot groups are generally around 3" with some being closer to 4". This seems somewhat reasonable to me with open sights (williams peep w/ fiber optic front) but I'm sure it could be better if I was a better shot. Load is 78gr by weight of 777 FF w/ a 290 gr Hornady Bore driver ftx. Shot prone from bipod w/ rear bag. I'm sure I could mess with powder charge, etc a bit and maybe squeeze out a better group, but I'd rather shoot more from different positions and work on some practical stuff at this point I think.

Also, I'd like to shoot some at 150 and 200 to figure out hold-overs. What is the approximate expected drop at 150 and 200? 6"? 12"? 18"? Just looking for a starting point so I don't drop too many rounds off paper chasing my tail.

Did you work up the load with a scope? If so, what were the groups like before you went to iron sights? No way to know if it’s the iron sights or the load combination otherwise. Personally, I’d be shooting for groups a little better than 3-4” (at 100 yards?).

78 grW is about 95 gr by volume 2F 777 (volume is the format data is published and the way most of us think about muzzy powder charges) so your muzzle velocity is about 1775 fps (according to Hodgdon data). Published BC is .135. So you probably be -5-6” at 150 and -9-12” at 200 yds. Hope this helps.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Did you work up the load with a scope? If so, what were the groups like before you went to iron sights? No way to know if it’s the iron sights or the load combination otherwise. Personally, I’d be shooting for groups a little better than 3-4” (at 100 yards?).

78 grW is about 95 gr by volume 2F 777 (volume is the format data is published and the way most of us think about muzzy powder charges) so your muzzle velocity is about 1775 fps (according to Hodgdon data). Published BC is .135. So you probably be -5-6” at 150 and -9-12” at 200 yds. Hope this helps.

Never shot it with a scope so I don't have a frame of reference there. With a scope I'd definitely be looking for better.

The approximate drops are extremely helpful. Least means I can make existing target work. Where did you find the BC data? I have a chronograph actually so I'll shoot a few across it next time for info too.

New as of this year to muzzleloaders. Thanks to @sabotloader for a ton of help and advice over the past few months.

What is everyone looking for as far as accuracy in a muzzleloader w/ open sights? So far with the muzzleloader my 6-8 shot groups are generally around 3" with some being closer to 4". This seems somewhat reasonable to me with open sights (williams peep w/ fiber optic front) but I'm sure it could be better if I was a better shot. Load is 78gr by weight of 777 FF w/ a 290 gr Hornady Bore driver ftx. Shot prone from bipod w/ rear bag. I'm sure I could mess with powder charge, etc a bit and maybe squeeze out a better group, but I'd rather shoot more from different positions and work on some practical stuff at this point I think.

Also, I'd like to shoot some at 150 and 200 to figure out hold-overs. What is the approximate expected drop at 150 and 200? 6"? 12"? 18"? Just looking for a starting point so I don't drop too many rounds off paper chasing my tail.
One thing I might suggest is to make sure your front bipod rest is not out near the sling mount. Try to have it around 4" in front of the trigger guard. With the support way out front you might be messing with the barre harmonics of the rifle.

3" @ 100 with open sites is not bad at all for the what you are shooting - prone front rest. I would suggest you use a PBR (Point Blank Range} system and I would suggest with your ML that you be around 3" high at 100. This would make you near 0 at 150 - 160 yards, And some what near 6" down at a 200.

And of course the more you shoot your rifle the better you will get.

These ballistic charts shows a possible combination

Lehigh275-300Comp.jpg

Rich M

WKR
I used a big sheet of cardboard when I zero and try to figure things out. Like 4x4 or 4x8 sheets of cardboard.

I was zeroed at 100, took it to 200 and was about 16 inches low. I shoot sabot 225 gr FTX with 110 gr Triple 7.

You are shooting a 3-4 inch group at 100 yards with irons? keep up the good work. That'll kill.

2" group at 100 yds open sight.

1' square at 150 - 225.

3" high at 50, dead on (enough) from 100 - 150. 4" drop at 175, 9" at 200. 14" at 225.

240 gr, 70 grs by wt.