AR15 Upgrade priority for precision

You can catch the Andro AR on sale every now and again, (like right now from Primary Arms) on sale for $399
I have one, it does 1 MOA pretty easily.
Uses Ballistic Advantage barrels, AO bolt carrier, Zev upper, and other good quality parts.
You can't beat it until you start looking at guns that go for twice that much money.

Can an AR even possess the potential accuracy of a precision bolt gun?
I don’t know what sort of accuracy you are referring to with precision bolt gun, but with 77gr smk’s, my AR is the most accurate centerfire that I’ve owned, I’m sure some of that is due to lack of recoil, but regardless, it was extremely accurate

I reverted back to bolt guns because I didn’t love carrying my AR in the woods, and gave the AR to my brother in law a few years ago, which I regret a little, but for a time period, it wasn’t being used and I hate guns that aren’t used, I assume get rid of them and get one that will be used…

I think if I would have discovered the kifaru gun bearer earlier, and the 223 thread was started earlier, it would’ve turned into my primary hunting rifle, but when I owned that rifle, I felt like the 223 was a marginal deer cartridge, though it worked great on the couple critters killed with it

Mine was just a stock sig m400 predator, and was disappointed finding out that my top choice in ammo didn’t shoot well (ironically enough, I wanted to shoot monos thinking I needed a bullet that held together) I just didn’t know what I didn’t know, and big for caliber match bullets shot great in it, but I thought that was a compromise for hunting

I don’t know what sort of accuracy you are referring to with precision bolt gun, but with 77gr smk’s, my AR is the most accurate centerfire that I’ve owned, I’m sure some of that is due to lack of recoil, but regardless, it was extremely accurate

I understand that an AR can be accurate, but at or out to what distance?
I suppose the question should be, can an AR be a 1000 yard gun?

1000 YARDS! I’d have to drive 4-5 hours to get to a location that would accommodate a 1K yd shot…

I very much appreciate the sharing of thoughts and experience
As an east coaster, pretty rare to have a 100+ yard shot in the woods nearby. A couple hundred maybe in a field. Lots of posted / private land... pretty limiting. Theoretically, a 2-3MOA gun is adequate, but that is anathema to me.

I’m intrigued with the ability to experiment with a platform that enables various cartridges, with only a quick barrel and BCG swap, but would really only be interested if it performs decently at a manageable cost.

Last edited:
I just watched a recent test on this last night on Youtube. But I did not save it. And I can't find it. But a Navy Seal sniper - on one of the Garand Thumb guys channels - shot at gel and bone torsos out to 1000 yards. Actually caused damage to 600 yards. Shattered shoulder blade iirc.

Made me think of shooting at 500m in the Marine Corps. 548.64 meters is 600 yards. That math - maths. ;)

(Hey. I'm interested in your Wasp. Can you shoot me an email? I'm new here. [email protected] But a long time member in good standing on many others forums. I've been posting for a week. But have not gotten clearance to respond to your ad.)

Back