Arrow setup questions

So I’ll be picking up my new lift 29 (70lb 29” draw) here shortly and I need to get some more arrows as I’m down to 5 currently.
- My current arrows are goldtip velocity xt 340’s.
- My first question is do you think I’ll have to go up to 300 spine? My current bow is at 63 lbs, 28.5” draw, and has a 300 fps ibo speed. Never chrono’d my arrows so no clue what they were at. 260? My finished arrow weight was always right around 375gr.
- If I stay with a similar setup I’m guessing the lift will push them 320-330.
- My next question is should i build my arrows heavier? They get used for league, 3d shoots, and whitetail hunting under 40 yds. Not interested in having multiple arrow setup ups.
- A fast arrow is appealing to me for ranging errors, as well as getting to the deer quicker to help mitigate string jumping.
- Is there such thing as too fast for these purposes? I’ve been using 100gr QAD exodus heads but am open to changing if need be.

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest going to a 300 spine. I recently just made a change like this. I picked the Victory RIP TKO. I switched from Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinums. I wanted a little bigger diameter and something slightly heavier. Im shooting at Mathews V3 31 70#. I was getting 302fps out of the Gold Tips. I have not shot the TKO through a chrono yet.

You could probably get away with 340 spine if you don't put much weight on the front, but I would go 300 if ordering new arrows.

A 375 gr arrow should be right around 325 fps out of a Lift 29.5 at 70#/29". Subtract 3.5 fps for every additional 10 gr to estimate speed at other arrow weights.

Fixed blade broadheads can be tricky to tune at higher speeds. The only way to know for sure if they'll fly well is to try them. Since you're unsure where you want to be on arrow weight, I would recommend getting 300 spine arrows and either using heat reversible glue ("hot melt") to secure your inserts and/or using inserts that can accept internal weight screws. That will allow you to easily experiment with various arrow weights and give you enough spine to add a significant amount of weight to the front if you want to.

I'd recommend 300 spine or going with a 65# mod. Can use your current setup with 65#, 70 is going to really push it, especially with fixed blades. I'd bet that with the full exodus blades you will just pull your hair out. Swept you might get it to work, but it won't be forgiving.

This is assuming you have your shafts cut just a little ahead of your rest. 29" shaft and 340's definitely won't work.

I bring up 65# mod because you said league. If shooting in volume there's very little need for 70#. Shooting at whitetail 40 yards and in, no need. It will make the bow a little quieter and be easier on you.

For arrow weight, that's a personal thing. I'm not big on going heavy, but I think if you are, close range WT is what I'd do it with. Generally an arrow 280-285 is going to be more forgiving to form flaws as you step up in speed. Above 290 gets finicky, once you are at 300 its really picky. I have tuned fixed blades at 315+ and while it works, I think you are just asking for trouble shooting in hunting conditions. Might as well be shooting bareshafts, they are extremely sensitive to any inputs, making any awkward shot about impossible.

Beendare

WKR
Its a no brainer to go up a spine size…why take the chance of not being able to tune?

As to arrow weight, I think 430-480g-ISH is a sweet spot for a 65# compound.

A little lighter if you want more speed, a little heavier if you want smoother/quieter Or you plan to use mech heads.

Last edited:
A quieter bow is more important than a faster arrow if string jumping is a concern.

A heavier arrow will quiet the bow more. Also easier to tune a fixed head with a slower arrow.

Easier to go up in spine to get a heavier arrow, and have the option to add weight up front like a brass/ss insert or heavier point. I personally prefer Easton axis over Gold tip…

But if 3D at unknown distance is more important, speed will help! I say get two bows, a target setup and a hunting one

OP
JPeters218
So if 290ish is a decent speed to be at, based on the 3.5 fps per 10gr, that would put me at about 475 gr arrow weight. Does that sound about right?
- what’s the best way to get there? I’d love some component recommendations.
- I’m not stuck on staying with gold tip, that’s just what my local shop mainly deals with. But I think they might’ve started carrying some victory‘s.
- As for arrow diameter, is this a big deal? My GT’s are .296, a 300gr would be .299 OD. The Easton axis 5mm are .281. Most of the victory’s are .24 to .26 from the looks of it.
—— I don’t love the idea of dropping arrow diameter for league/ 3d purposes. But I’ve never looked into this stuff. I’ve always just shot what my shop told me to and it’s worked out.

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ll be picking up my new lift 29 (70lb 29” draw) here shortly and I need to get some more arrows as I’m down to 5 currently.
- My current arrows are goldtip velocity xt 340’s.
- My first question is do you think I’ll have to go up to 300 spine? My current bow is at 63 lbs, 28.5” draw, and has a 300 fps ibo speed. Never chrono’d my arrows so no clue what they were at. 260? My finished arrow weight was always right around 375gr.
- If I stay with a similar setup I’m guessing the lift will push them 320-330.
- My next question is should i build my arrows heavier? They get used for league, 3d shoots, and whitetail hunting under 40 yds. Not interested in having multiple arrow setup ups.
- A fast arrow is appealing to me for ranging errors, as well as getting to the deer quicker to help mitigate string jumping.
- Is there such thing as too fast for these purposes? I’ve been using 100gr QAD exodus heads but am open to changing if need be.
we have same draw and poundage, my vx3 33 is much quieter with the heavier set up and has blown threw several whitetail since the change. I am a tinkerer by heart so messing with several different arrows/ tunings / and broadheads is quite enjoyable process preseason.

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I do keep a flatter lighter set up for TAC and 3d however bc I have enough of the 4mm axis arrows to miss a few foams and not worry about it ( besides the 16 dollar hit )

I would stick with a standard diameter arrow (6.5mm/.244-.246" ID) for simplicity, durability, and cost reasons. IMO the juice generally isn't worth the squeeze to go smaller. Black Eagle Outlaw/Zombie Slayer, Easton 6.5mm, Gold Tip Hunter, and Victory VForce are my go-to recommendations for a do-all arrow. Any of those in 300 spine cut at 28" carbon-to-carbon with 175 gr on the front (head + insert + weight screws) and 30 gr on the back (vanes + nock) would put you real close to 475 gr total and come in just slightly weak of "optimal" spine (per qSpine/OT2Go). You could turn your draw weight down just a bit to shave a little speed and stiffen the arrow if tuning proved to be problematic.

I know you said you don't want to have multiple arrow setups, but if you used a lightweight insert and added removable weight screws (Gold Tip FACT weights or similar) to get to your preferred hunting weight, you would have the option of removing the weight screws when target shooting to lighten the arrow and increase speed. All you would have to do is pull nocks, unscrew weights, reinsert nocks, and change your sight tape.

Bow inputs: 348 fps IBO, 70# DW, 29" DL, 29.5" ATA, 6" BH, 80% LO
Arrow inputs: 28" C2C, 175 gr front weight, 30 gr rear weight
Screenshot_20240104_122958.jpg

GuyinIdaho

Lil-Rokslider
So if 290ish is a decent speed to be at, based on the 3.5 fps per 10gr, that would put me at about 475 gr arrow weight. Does that sound about right?
- what’s the best way to get there? I’d love some component recommendations.
- I’m not stuck on staying with gold tip, that’s just what my local shop mainly deals with. But I think they might’ve started carrying some victory‘s.
- As for arrow diameter, is this a big deal? My GT’s are .296, a 300gr would be .299 OD. The Easton axis 5mm are .281. Most of the victory’s are .24 to .26 from the looks of it.
—— I don’t love the idea of dropping arrow diameter for league/ 3d purposes. But I’ve never looked into this stuff. I’ve always just shot what my shop told me to and it’s worked out.
Add weight up front

I shoot GT pierce platinum with 125gr broadheads plus the insert/collar system (33gr I believe). My total arrow weight is 480gr.

Last edited:
OP
JPeters218
I would stick with a standard diameter arrow (6.5mm/.244-.246" ID) for simplicity, durability, and cost reasons. IMO the juice generally isn't worth the squeeze to go smaller. Black Eagle Outlaw/Zombie Slayer, Easton 6.5mm, Gold Tip Hunter, and Victory VForce are my go-to recommendations for a do-all arrow. Any of those in 300 spine cut at 28" carbon-to-carbon with 175 gr on the front (head + insert + weight screws) and 30 gr on the back (vanes + nock) would put you real close to 475 gr total and come in just slightly weak of "optimal" spine (per qSpine/OT2Go). You could turn your draw weight down just a bit to shave a little speed and stiffen the arrow if tuning proved to be problematic.

I know you said you don't want to have multiple arrow setups, but if you used a lightweight insert and added removable weight screws (Gold Tip FACT weights or similar) to get to your preferred hunting weight, you would have the option of removing the weight screws when target shooting to lighten the arrow and increase speed. All you would have to do is pull nocks, unscrew weights, reinsert nocks, and change your sight tape.

Bow inputs: 348 fps IBO, 70# DW, 29" DL, 29.5" ATA, 6" BH, 80% LO
Arrow inputs: 28" C2C, 175 gr front weight, 30 gr rear weight
View attachment 651913
Thanks a ton. Really good info here. Does starting with a 50gr insert and 125gr heads sound like a good starting point?

edit: that actually only gets me to about 445. Should I go heavier on the insert?

Last edited:
Thanks a ton. Really good info here. Does starting with a 50gr insert and 125gr heads sound like a good starting point?

edit: that actually only gets me to about 445. Should I go heavier on the insert?
A 9.5 gpi shaft cut to 28" with 175 gr on the front and 30 gr on the back (typical for 3 vanes, unlighted nock, no wrap) comes out to 471 gr total arrow weight.

It's cheaper/easier to add weight than to subtract it. I would start at the low end of what you think you want then add weight screws later if needed. If you like your current 100 gr heads, keep them and use a heavier insert/more weight screws to make up the difference.

OP
JPeters218
A 9.5 gpi shaft cut to 28" with 175 gr on the front and 30 gr on the back (typical for 3 vanes, unlighted nock, no wrap) comes out to 471 gr total arrow weight.

It's cheaper/easier to add weight than to subtract it. I would start at the low end of what you think you want then add weight screws later if needed. If you like your current 100 gr heads, keep them and use a heavier insert/more weight screws to make up the difference.
I just measured my current arrows and they’re actually at 29.75”. If I remember right they were cut to stick out past the shelf.

Doing some actual math of all my components right now, 9.3 gpi x 29.75” (if I choose GT Hunter XT’s), 18.3gr of blazer heat vanes, 5 gr for a 4” wrap, 20gr nocktournals, 50gr insert, and 100gr head. Comes out to 470 grains. Which the calculator says should be right at 290 fps.

If i stuck with the standard 12 gr insert id be at 430gr/ 304fps.