August Moose hunt in AK

Dirtydog

Lil-Rokslider
My dad is booked to hunt Moose in Alaska this August 19-30. Obviously the rut activity will be non-existent so for the guys/gals that have hunted these dates what is the strategy? I know in my home state of Utah hunting moose in August would be extremely difficult due to the heat. Can we expect the same situation? Any input is appreciated.

AKDoc

WKR
For an early season hunt it's primarily been lots of glassing..then spot and stalk. Might unexpectedly jump one that was laying down you didn't see. Early season is different than a month later in the season...at least in my experience. If you notice that bulls have started to scrape velvet, then maybe you can do a bit of conservative scraping.

Many times early season I've seen bulls paired-up together...until they start scraping velvet, get pissed at each other, and go solo before rut.

Edit: If it's a GMU with antler restrictions, then I'd definitely bring a good spotting scope...that will save you a lot of unnecessary humps for a closer look at an illegal bull (and stinking up the area in the process).

Last edited:
OP
Dirtydog

Dirtydog

Lil-Rokslider
More of a mountainous area is what he was told. I'm guessing it will be a ton of glassing until one is spotted.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
like caribou, hunting moose in august will give you a lot of very good meat with still lovely fat but will involve a lot of work as the moose to avoid bugs will not be in lower terrain: that doesnt mean you cannot be lucky ...