Aussie Public Land Adventures

jwb300

WKR
I've been on a long journey with guns and I think I've finally found the one :-[ I'll post a review later but I've had the Sauer 404 for about 4 weeks now and been out hunting a bit with it.

The first group I shot after working to max and I am ready for hunting

064_zpsmzkfbo3u.jpg

The following weekend I headed up to a NSW state forest. Saturday morning I saw a few deer but swirly winds had us busted. I took this young fox on the walk back to the car.
Fox_zpsitpshgub.png

The afternoon wind was more consistent and I managed to take another nice meat animal
Fallow_zpslfgq1jwj.png

After packing the deer out to the car I headed back to camp. That night around the fire I could hear some scratching around in the bush. I found a bunch of turkeys scratching around and managed to catch one by hand.
028_zpssoz1gio4.jpg

Turkey_zpss4nbc2k5.jpg

OP
jwb300

jwb300

WKR
The next morning I headed out early. I've been trying to kill a red stag in a state forest for many years and I couldn't believe my eyes when this guy materialised in the morning dawn some 200 yds away. I closed in about 20 yds to rest on a tree and checked one off the bucket list. He was a huge bodied 9 pointer in great condition. I've since eaten a bit and the meat is some of the most tender venison I've eaten.

Stag%201_zpshx0wgsbc.png

Stag_zps7rz8xmjh.png

Meat_zpsdnj6b65q.png

OP
jwb300

jwb300

WKR
Did a quick trip to Victoria to chase sambar with fellow forum member Dinger. We headed off at 2am Friday morning and arrived home Sunday night. We explored a bit of new country but the hunting was a bit slow. I only took a yearling sambar for meat but I was happy as it was my 3rd species of deer in two weekends on public land.

Here are a few pics.

Clearing trails
014_zpsg2zcunxv.jpg

015_zpsucwhjy7w.jpg

Typical country
018_zpsrlkn1sod.jpg

Found a series of deep holes where the land looked to have sheared away from the hillside opening along up long fault/crack. Wouldn't like to find one walking out in the dark.
DSC09345_zpslxp36agv.jpg

DSC09349_zpsfugogdic.jpg

Yearling sambar - meat looked like a vealer
DSC09339_zpsqkcawjbl.jpg

Crazy mushroom - a bit smaller than a dinner plate. I believe it to be Amanita Muscaria which is supposedly psychoactive.
DSC09362_zpsekq2afad.jpg

DSC09359_zpskqhh5pk6.jpg

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing! That part of the globe is a bucket list item for me.

Merc

FNG
Absolutely awesome public land hunting from the looks of it.

We've got some free ranging sambar on the coast here in Texas off of a large estate. Impressive to see some of the bucks running around.

One of these days I'll get down under.

OP
jwb300

jwb300

WKR
Absolutely awesome public land hunting from the looks of it.

We've got some free ranging sambar on the coast here in Texas off of a large estate. Impressive to see some of the bucks running around.

One of these days I'll get down under.

Thanks Merc

Sambar stags are some of the wiliest animals one can hunt. An under appreciated animal globally but they are widely considered the premier game animal in Aus.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, Awesome hunt mate, I'm based in Sydney but have never bothered to get my ticket for hunting the state forests since I was told that they were "all hunted out" but I have been reconsidering it again lately and now after seeing your results I will definitely be making it a priority.

if you don't mind me asking, what rough area did you go to?

Oh, and DEFINITELY don't eat that Mushroom!

OP
jwb300

jwb300

WKR
Wow, Awesome hunt mate, I'm based in Sydney but have never bothered to get my ticket for hunting the state forests since I was told that they were "all hunted out" but I have been reconsidering it again lately and now after seeing your results I will definitely be making it a priority.

if you don't mind me asking, what rough area did you go to?

Oh, and DEFINITELY don't eat that Mushroom!

Anything within cooee of Sydney is hit pretty hard but there is game there if you put the time in. I've spent a lot of time learning forests and my advice is this: Go when it is cold (less people) and don't drive to the farthest corners of the forest. A lot of people go right past good areas to get into some 'remote' area. I mainly hunt around Nundle and usually pull a deer or two out and sometimes pigs. There are some cracking mountain boars up there if you put the time in. Here is a fallow from two weeks ago - fat as mud. There are also loads of deer around some of the Southern forests such as Maragle.

DSC00450_zps9ddbdr1o.jpg

DSC00462_zps3jzysydo.jpg

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
I see what you mean about having to get way out from Sydney.

I am spending a bit of non-hunting Bush time in recent times but haven't been on a hunt for about a year, thanks for the advice and also the inspiration.

I'm hoping to pick up a new 308 very soon so I'll be keen as hell to get out there!

Last edited:

Merc

FNG
Saw these Sambar on an estate on the way to my dad's here in Texas and thought y'all could appreciate them.

d1634d29461e160313de27a34a9fc60b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
jwb300

jwb300

WKR
Saw these Sambar on an estate on the way to my dad's here in Texas and thought y'all could appreciate them.

d1634d29461e160313de27a34a9fc60b.jpg

Nice pic - once they get out they are unstoppable. They will inhabit just about any terrain and don't tend to mob up like European deer. Are these ones on a farm?

Merc

FNG
Nice pic - once they get out they are unstoppable. They will inhabit just about any terrain and don't tend to mob up like European deer. Are these ones on a farm?
These are, that's a high fence ranch they are on. The Powderhorn to be exact.

There are a few that have gotten out but in this area we've got enough people with guns that aren't afraid to use them to fill the freezer that they don't last long.

OP
jwb300

jwb300

WKR
Took a couple of fellas hunting in Victoria over the weekend for their first Sambar hunt. Also ducked over to some private land in Southern NSW and tipped over a few red deer. 12 Sambar seen in state forests including 3 stags but the fella's I took couldn't connect.

Strange fungi
007_zpsg4vac3pm.jpg

Wallow
008_zpsawrpinp6.jpg

A few preach trees - one was so fresh you could smell the stag

013_zpsatjpiimi.jpg

015_zps4ervm3zm.jpg

019_zpsdi1govdi.jpg

Kosciuszko NP

025_zpsjckxjh2t.jpg

Some reds off private land - must not shoot anything else for a while... freezers are full.

039_zpsd9nna1rx.jpg

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
PUBLIC LAND!?! Can't tell you how happy that makes me to hear, even if I never get to hunt them. Love the idea that Turkey are getting about.