Average Adult Caribou Dimensions

Slugz

WKR
What's the top of back to brisket/belly measurement of a male mature caribou ?

Searched all over the inter web and there are comparison between elk, moose and caribou with scale pictures. Based on that I came up with 35 inches.

Last edited:
What species...they vary a lot between the smallest being Central Canadian Barren Ground Caribou not much more than a large mule deer to the largest, the Mt Caribou which are nearly elk sized. Woodland and Barren Ground are in between. So are Quebec Labrador but they are not being hunted the past few years.

I seriously doubt there are many 35" deep caribou out there....very large elk sized. That said, I don't have a good number for you....maybe check taxidermy supply forms and see what they run....if they list dimensions.

Last edited:
OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
barrenground (Rangifer tarandus granti)

After relooking I agree with you. a mature bull elk is 36-40".........so maybe 30" is more in the ball park

Last edited:

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at the photo of mine that is above my desk at work - I would estimate 26-28". Alaskan western herd. Was a nice mature bull but not a monster.

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
The large mature bulls "can" have quite long white hair on the front 1/3 of their body (neck and chest). this hair "might" deceive someone as to the "real" bottom of the chest.
There’s a joke to be made there but I won’t on my way to church.