Average Sheep or Once in a lifetime trophy

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
Hello sheep hunters. I was perusing youtube and came across the below video of this absolute tank of a bighorn ram. I'm not a sheep hunter but I am curious on what he would score or if he is just average big ram.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just a regular guy without deep pockets just asking because that sheep looked huge

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: WCB

wyogoat

WKR
I’m just a regular guy that gets excited about legal rams and that is a stud. I have a number in mind but some guys on here field judge much better than I do. Great mass and curl and a lot of attitude.

S-3 ranch

WKR
who are you? Because the smaller 150-160 ram is a once in a lifetime ram for 99% of people. The bigger is probably a once in a lifetime ram for guys with really deep pockets.
without a doubt, $300-400k @ the sheep show auction lol .
170 is book ?
they save the 190-200 for the chairmen’s of the sheep board/ mafia

tater

WKR
Pretty ram.
Carries mass beautifully to his tips, and based on paused video i put him at 10 years old and in that 180-185 class.
Don't know many sheep hunters that would pass on that ram, but he is going to die of old age or a car collision and not an arrow or bullet.

Looks huge to me. I took this pic in northern NM and thought this guy was a brute. Since then have been told he won’t score well because his length is likely a lot less than you think because horns come off head flat and curls aren’t very deep. He was cool to watch pushing around the younger rams and his body looked impressive.
2d19c0d2cf6c19ab739c25cbd6dffa4b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
@Marine4life I would disagree with some of the others on score. Mass is driving factor in high score of a ram. Used to remember some vague percentage but it is the driver. Say the ram is short length and is 34 instead of 39 on length. But averages 12 instead of 10 on the eight mass measurements, he comes out ahead on score. Now the true giants have open curl that a volley ball fits inside vs softball and great mass. I am no expert but would guess that ram high 170's low 180's. But would be inclined to even give him +5 on the high end. Drew a norther NM sheep tag and had pictures of quite a few big rams. Asked a few previous tag holders and guides rough scores. Some of them were off as much as 10". Saw 2 in person on the ground with final measurements. They can be really deceiving on score.

Good read:

@Marine4life I would disagree with some of the others on score. Mass is driving factor in high score of a ram. Used to remember some vague percentage but it is the driver. Say the ram is short length and is 34 instead of 39 on length. But averages 12 instead of 10 on the eight mass measurements, he comes out ahead on score. Now the true giants have open curl that a volley ball fits inside vs softball and great mass. I am no expert but would guess that ram high 170's low 180's. But would be inclined to even give him +5 on the high end. Drew a norther NM sheep tag and had pictures of quite a few big rams. Asked a few previous tag holders and guides rough scores. Some of them were off as much as 10". Saw 2 in person on the ground with final measurements. They can be really deceiving on score.

Good read:

Thanks for the link. I read the article and it will help. But the challenge I am having is the unit I have drawn doesn’t have really big rams so all those indicators have to downsized. I have reviewed the last 3 years harvest data and think a top end ram in the unit is 150-160. I just need to get boots on the ground and see what I can find and exercise patience when the season opens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
You are doing your homework! Might of been on a podcast but somewhere I learned to look at what the unit typically produces. Trying to find a 190 in a unit that produced a max of 175" is spinning your wheels. Good luck on the hunt!