Backcountry Spotting Scope Options

I'm looking into my options for buying (in the not-so-distant future) a reasonably high-quality, lighter weight (for backcountry use) spotting scope (angled preferably), and was hoping to get some suggestions. Due to my current situation, my top-end budget is around $1500 with a tiny bit of wiggle room. What I've looked into thus far are three options:
Vortex Razor 11-33x50 (puts me well below my budget, looking to buy used or new)
Kowa TSN-553 (would like to find one in good, but used, shape to stay at/under budget)
Leica 62mm APO (obviously would have to find used)

Any additional suggestions are greatly appreciated, along with feedback on those three options.

the kowa 553 is the gold standard for ultralight backpacking spotter. The sharpness, clarity and depth is truly great. FOV is fairly narrow, but at spotter distances and for an animal confirming/size up role its awesome.

I used my buddy's Kowa quite a lot, and I ended up being pretty disappointed. Anything in the sunlight was fantastic. Trying to look at coues deer on a shaded slope at 1200 yards was about impossible. Couldn't tell what was what. It's the best of the ultralights, but definitely has limitations.
I'd look for a Swarovski STS or STM 65. After playing with the Kowa, I decided the extra 20 oz was well worth it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm looking into my options for buying (in the not-so-distant future) a reasonably high-quality, lighter weight (for backcountry use) spotting scope (angled preferably), and was hoping to get some suggestions. Due to my current situation, my top-end budget is around $1500 with a tiny bit of wiggle room. What I've looked into thus far are three options:
Vortex Razor 11-33x50 (puts me well below my budget, looking to buy used or new)
Kowa TSN-553 (would like to find one in good, but used, shape to stay at/under budget)
Leica 62mm APO (obviously would have to find used)

Any additional suggestions are greatly appreciated, along with feedback on those three options.
If you have any questions on the Razor HD 11-33x50, let me know!

junior

WKR
The 553 is your best option at that price and incredibly light weight. Don’t get talked into lower class glass just for bigger objective lens. Talk to Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
I used my buddy's Kowa quite a lot, and I ended up being pretty disappointed. Anything in the sunlight was fantastic. Trying to look at coues deer on a shaded slope at 1200 yards was about impossible. Couldn't tell what was what. It's the best of the ultralights, but definitely has limitations.
I'd look for a Swarovski STS or STM 65. After playing with the Kowa, I decided the extra 20 oz was well worth it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I own the baby Kowa and would agree with this. The scope is a little overhyped in my opinion. I’m looking at going back to a 65mm.

To the OP, I’ve also owned the baby Razor and have compared it side by side to the Kowa. It’s no slouch, and I actually find it easier to get behind in the higher zoom range, on the Kowa I constantly feel like I have to adjust my head to keep a good picture. Where the baby Razor falls short is in color, contrast and chromatic aberration control.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
This is a tough one. If I didn't wear glasses I'd go with the 55mm Kowa but it doesn't have enough eye-relief for me. I think If I had to do it again I'd go with the Leupold Gold Ring 60mm scope. Light, compact and though a tier under the Alpha's very usable image and great eye-relief. I run a Leica 65MM Televid and hate the weight about the same amount that I love the amazing image quality. The 62mm Leica would be a great choice if you can find one.