Bartlein or benchmark cfw barrel

Tweber

FNG
I am starting a 7PRC rifle project. Already a defiance anti action. Going to be a XLR chassis. I'm trying g to decide on barrel. 20 in long and will have a dead air nomad ti suppressor on it. I'm trying to decide between a Bartlein or Benchmark CFW barrel. Any input on reliability and pros and cons would be great. This is a hunting rifle. I do spend time at range but looking for right compromise between weight and consistency in accuracy. weight and consistency

Bartlein's lightest carbon contour (#4) is basically the same weight as a #3 bartlein steel. A #3 bartlein should have a little over 0.710" shoulder @ 20" finish length so IMO it would be bad choice to buy a bartlein carbon for that application unless you want to spend $300 more for a barrel with worse performance odds because you think it looks cool. A benchmark #4 steel will be lighter than a bartlein #3 and have 0.705 ish shoulder at 20" finish length.

Benchmark carbons can be lighter.

IMO if you're looking for the best balance of weight, consistency, accuracy, a steel barrel is a better option and it comes at a lower cost as a side benefit. It seems most people building these types of rifles prioritize having a fashion statement though.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tweber

FNG
Bartlein's lightest carbon contour (#4) is basically the same weight as a #3 bartlein steel. A #3 bartlein should have a little over 0.710" shoulder @ 20" finish length so IMO it would be dumb to buy a bartlein carbon for that application unless you want to spend $300 more for a barrel with worse performance odds because you think it looks cool. A benchmark #4 steel will be lighter than a bartlein #3 and have 0.705 ish shoulder at 20" finish length.

Benchmark carbons can be lighter.

IMO if you're looking for the best balance of weight, consistency, accuracy, a steel barrel is a better option and it comes at a lower cost as a side benefit. It seems most people building these types of rifles prioritize having a fashion statement though.
Looks was never a concern in my post neither is cost. I'm looking for best performance in a 20 in barrel under 3 lbs that will handle weight of suppressor. I'm not interested in a pencil barrel or else I would go that route because yes they are lighter than CFW.

I'm of the belief that there are zero performance benefits to carbon barrels over the same weight steel barrels at that barrel length. Sure, some shoot great, but i believe your odds are worse with a carbon barrel.

I have a bartlein carbon #4 chambered in 300WM. It shoots good. I only bought it because it was available on the shelf and allowed me to have 5/8" threads @ 26" finish length and was lighter than a steel barrel of the same contour. Doing it over I'd just get a #3 steel, still thread it 5/8", but have a larger shoulder added for brake/suppressor lockup.

Axlrod

WKR
I have a Bartlein carbon, it shoots really well. The gunsmith that built my gun would only use Bartlein, due to problems with other carbons. His theory, Bartlein uses a larger barrel before wrapping, causing less distortion from wrapping. Based on your question, use a Bartlein if you want a good shooting carbon.

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Bartlein barrels for PRS but no experience with their CF barrels. I will say that my 3 Proof CF barrels have all been excellent shooters.

huntnful

WKR
I’ve had both and both shot great. Just get whatever one you can actually find. You’re looking at 14 months if you have to order a 20” benchmark CF.

7 PRC has some pretty good recoil. Don’t be afraid to put like a rem varmint contour steel on there and get some weight up front to help with recoil

I know it’s about impossible to talk people out of their build ideas though haha

B23

WKR
I'm of the belief that there are zero performance benefits to carbon barrels over the same weight steel barrels at that barrel length. Sure, some shoot great, but i believe your odds are worse with a carbon barrel.
I'm of the same belief, aesthetics and a lighter wallet is really all you gain and even with that the aesthetics part is one of those beauty is in the eye of the beholder things because for every person I know that thinks they "look" cool, I'm in that camp, I know someone that doesn't like how they look.

I think pretty much all of the they're lighter, stronger, more rigid or stiff, they cool faster, last longer stuff has been debunked many times. If a person wants a CF barrel just because, it's your money, go for it but if you're doing it for any of those other reasons, well, buyer beware and don't fall for the sales pitch or at the least read the fine print.

Tbone26

FNG
I chose a Bartlien with a 20” CFW. That’s the weight empty without a scythe. So far it has shot well, but I only have about 100 rounds through it.

1713534029847.jpeg

B23

WKR
Bartlein CF barrels tend to weigh more then many or even most of the others because they leave more steel on the barrel before they have them wrapped.

It's kind of funny, when you talk to some of the barrel manufactures that have both all steel and CF wrapped barrels the honest ones will tell you they only do CF barrels because there's a market for them and people want them, not because a CF wrapped barrel does anything better.

OP
T

Tweber

FNG
I chose a Bartlien with a 20” CFW. That’s the weight empty without a scythe. So far it has shot well, but I only have about 100 rounds through it.

View attachment 701810
Sorry but was wondering what you meant to say with scythe. Also what action. Looks very similar to what I'm trying to biuld

I think pretty much all of the they're lighter, stronger, more rigid or stiff, they cool faster, last longer stuff has been debunked many times. If a person wants a CF barrel just because, it's your money, go for it but if you're doing it for any of those other reasons, well, buyer beware and don't fall for the sales pitch or at the least read the fine print.

Maybe I’m too dense to understand the physics but when I saw bergara explaining how they improve heat transfer by wrapping the steel liner with, get this, steel mesh.. I laughed pretty hard.

I’m sorry if I came off a little shitty @Tweber. I have a carbon barrel pet peeve because a guy can’t find gol darne steel sporter blanks to build with but I can find carbon blanks for near double that don’t do a thing better and in many cases worse yet people keep buying them.

Tbone26

FNG
Sorry but was wondering what you meant to say with scythe. Also what action. Looks very similar to what I'm trying to biuld
No worries, scythe is the suppressor from SilencerCo I am running on this build. That is a Mack Bros EVO II titanium. I can't disagree with what others have said regarding carbon fiber.. Look good feel good LOL.