Basecamp / 4 season hot tent - canvas, vapex, double wall…???

Chode223

FNG
Hey everyone,

Looking for a basecamp tent for hunting trips. Lots of great options out there from Ellis, snowtrekker, arctic oven, seek outside, stone glacier / slingfin.

I’m really interested in the stone glacier skydome / slingfin arctic 6. Looks like a great combination of durability, flexibility, weight and size.

Looks like it would even be small enough to take canoe camping during those shoulder seasons too.

Wondering how these double wall nylon tents perform compared to the heavier canvas wall tents, or compared to some of the other double wall tents like the arctic oven.

Really wanting to avoid condensation (so have ruled out the silnylon single wall tipee type shelters.

Want to run a stove / propane heat. And want something that will handle snow and cold that always seems to hit us on our rifle hunts.

Lots of different threads on the various types of tents, but not much on the SG/Slingfin especially compared to the heavier canvas tents.

Any other tents I should be looking at and considering too?

Thanks for the insights.

OP
C

Chode223

FNG
Lionhound 1975 has a great review of the Gamme 6 if you go to page 2 of this forum.
Yeah. I’ve seen that one too. Really looking for something double walled. Looks like the gamme (unless you put in the liner) is only single walled.

Canvas tipee looks interesting too.

Snowtrekker has some nice lightweight options. I've used one for several seasons and it has held up very well minus a cattle herd busting some stuff. Mine is a 10x11 with tall walls and is about 40 lbs, tent and poles. It's one of the heavier tents they've made.

How many people are you trying to fit?

OP
C

Chode223

FNG
Snowtrekker has some nice lightweight options. I've used one for several seasons and it has held up very well minus a cattle herd busting some stuff. Mine is a 10x11 with tall walls and is about 40 lbs, tent and poles. It's one of the heavier tents they've made.

Primary going to be 2-3 of us. But with kids and whatnot could be a couple more.

If this is for truck camping, I’d check out the Kodiak flex-bow. You can get them on sale and it handles wind/snow really well. They’re real heavy, but hold heat and have standing room space.

OP
C

Chode223

FNG

How many can you comfortably fit/ sleep in the 10x11?

For the basecamp it sounds like the canvas will be a more comfortable and durable option, but I continue to be intrigued by the nylon double wall as I’m hoping it’s as nice as the arctic oven at a lighter weight and smaller pack size.

I'm not sure if they are a scam or not (their website is odd, to say the least), but Pomoly makes some nylon dome tents that might fit the bill for a double walled tent with stove jack. The Luxe Hercules and Cabelas Instinct (I think) are intriguing as well.

I would definitely be curious to see if other folks have experience with these tents.

As for canvas/nylon, I don't think much comes close to the breathability of canvas, but my perspective could be mis-informed.

Hey everyone,

Looking for a basecamp tent for hunting trips. Lots of great options out there from Ellis, snowtrekker, arctic oven, seek outside, stone glacier / slingfin.

I’m really interested in the stone glacier skydome / slingfin arctic 6. Looks like a great combination of durability, flexibility, weight and size.

Looks like it would even be small enough to take canoe camping during those shoulder seasons too.

Wondering how these double wall nylon tents perform compared to the heavier canvas wall tents, or compared to some of the other double wall tents like the arctic oven.

Really wanting to avoid condensation (so have ruled out the silnylon single wall tipee type shelters.

Want to run a stove / propane heat. And want something that will handle snow and cold that always seems to hit us on our rifle hunts.

Lots of different threads on the various types of tents, but not much on the SG/Slingfin especially compared to the heavier canvas tents.

Any other tents I should be looking at and considering too?

Thanks for the insights.
What did you end up getting ?

Mansfield Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Encourage a look at Tentipi. Didn't see it on your list of brands being considered, but it seems right up the alley regarding how you explained what's most what's important to you.

OP
C

Chode223

FNG
What did you end up getting ?
Still haven’t pulled the trigger, will depend on what tags I end up drawing for this fall and all that. Really leaning towards the Ellis Shackleton, but think the slingfin / SG will be lighter/small enough for my canoe camping trips.