Battery life in the field - panel or not , 6 day hunt.

id450

WKR
I’ve made the switch to all rechargeable gear other than my rangefinder plus an extra battery. . . I phone 14 ( in airplane mode and roaming off) in reach, headlamp , steri pen UL, my phone will be handing most mapping offline , scope cam , pictures etc…
I have a big blue 28w solar panel weighs in at 20.4 oz , dark energy 10,000 is 8.5oz . Do I need both for 6 days? Or what’s ur guys experience on the dark energy and device management now that I’m not hauling batteries. . I’m assume 6 days is risky the edge ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
I get by fine with a single 10K mAh battery pack for 10 days with some to spare. My phone (14 Pro Max) is always in airplane mode and I have a newer Garmin Mini 2. I don’t send ton of messages. My rechargeable Petzl headlamp and Surefire LED lithium conversion don’t need charging for that length of time.

Brianb3

WKR
I’ve been getting almost 48 hours on my iPhone w full charge low battery mode and Airplane but just discovered as I’m glassing for mule deer in the same place I’ve hunted for 8 years at 7000 feet and 12 miles deep 4800 vert I now get 2 bars lte so I’ll need more juice next time. Also Just witnessed 3 hunters for the first time up here blow out 3-3yo bucks. Times are changing.

Following.

OP
I

id450

WKR
I’ve been getting almost 48 hours on my iPhone w full charge low battery mode and Airplane but just discovered as I’m glassing for mule deer in the same place I’ve hunted for 8 years at 7000 feet and 12 miles deep 4800 vert I now get 2 bars lte so I’ll need more juice next time. Also Just witnessed 3 hunters for the first time up here blow out 3-3yo bucks. Times are changing.

Following.

Yeah that’s a great point I’ve been in some if the most remote parts of Nevada at 10-11k with cell better than I get in my house. Thanks

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
It depends on how you manage power. I can easily get 7 days with power to spare bringing a 5,000 Ah battery pack.

My flashlights have their own spare batteries, never needed them, but it is cheap insurance. I use a full sized inReach as it has better battery life, and most of the time my phone is off.

Using a phone to track and navigate really hurts battery life. Or watching movies at night, Etc. Leaving an inReach on at night will make it die a lot faster, Etc. Honestly, only you can know. If unsure, bring extra power and cut back as you figure things out.

Personally, if in your situation and unsure, I would take a second power bank before taking a solar panel. Get a 5,000 Ah and treat it as a reserve for survival needs only.

OP
I

id450

WKR
Thanks guys, very helpful. I’m
Gonna save the weight and roll the battery pack only this go around.

ChrisAU

WKR
I’ll have two Nitecore 10k chargers at 5.3oz each for a 7 day/6 night trip. Digiscoping eats battery life in my iPhone 14 Pro.

TaperPin

WKR
Lithium AA disposable batteries are one of the least expensive ways to shave weight if you look at $ per ounce saved. I can’t imagine packing a solar charger for a one week hunt.

A phone burns a lot of juice trying to constantly update and search for signal - airplane mode and adjusting screen brightness way down can really help.

Start with everything charged up and skip the solar panel. Bring the 10000mah battery to recharge. Keep your electronic devices from getting really cold. I Just did ~50hrs Thursday afternoon through Saturday afternoon with my 14pro on airplane mode/battery saving mode. I took a few dozen pictures, sent/received about a dozen InReach messages, and ran two OnX tracks and still came out with over 50% battery. InReach was still at 89% but I didn’t keep it on constantly. Maybe have a spare headlamp that takes regular replaceable batteries for a backup. Something like the Petzl Elite.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I've had poor luck with solar charging in the field. That was 6 years ago, so maybe things have changed. The weight savings from not packing solar has gone to more battery capacity.