Best Historical Stuff near Rapid City

Rich M

WKR
Doing WY antelope this fall - one of the guys wants to do some "historical" sight seeing. We'll be about 3 hrs from Rapid City and Mt Rushmore.

What else should we be checking out if we take a day there?

What's the best saloon to check out?

1692369324083.jpeg
Black Hills National Cemetery, Meade County, South Dakota

Black Hills National Cemetery is a United States National Cemetery in South Dakota, located three miles southeast of Sturgis in Meade County. It encompasses 105.9 acres, and as 2021, had over 30,000 interments.

Address: 20901 Pleasant Valley Dr, Sturgis, SD 57785

God bless our Veterans, TheGrayRider.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
My wife's uncles worked on Mt. Rushmore. They are listed on the wall of names as you enter the site. The Leach brothers Alton and Clyde, they went by the names, "Hoot" and "Little Hoot",My wife on the right.. It would be a little out of the way, bit Devils Tower in WY. is another nation monument. There is also, Crazy Horse Memorial in SD. Construction began in 1948 with a thirty year time table for completion, as of now, with a long way to go, there is no time line for completion.026.jpeg

wesfromky

WKR
Deadwood for cowboy stuff. Slyvan Lake area is pretty cool. And if you are up for a hike, hit Harney peak for the old fire tower.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
How could I have forgot Deadwood. If there, visit the cemetery. Wild Bill and Calamity Jane are buried next to each other.

Doing WY antelope this fall - one of the guys wants to do some "historical" sight seeing. We'll be about 3 hrs from Rapid City and Mt Rushmore.

What else should we be checking out if we take a day there?

What's the best saloon to check out?
Journey Museum in Rapid City … history of the Black Hills

I really like The Mint in Sheridan, WY really the whole town is pretty cool.

I thought the Battle of Little Bighorn monument and battlefield wad very well done and neat to see.

If you haven't been to Mt Rushmore, it's worth the detour, but I personally didn't particularly "like it" (for lack of better words.) It is cooler at night.

LFC911

WKR
Just happen to have these from a trip we took this summer...I really enjoyed driving to Mt. Rushmore up from the south on Iron Mountain Road.

IMG_2464.JPEG

jayhawk

WKR
Depending on where you’re hunting the Sheridan area has a few things. Little Bighorn and Fort Phil Kearny (where the Fetterman massacre occurred) are both very interesting.
Not historical, but the weatherby factory is also in Sheridan.

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
Thanks, guys. Ive seen devil’s tower and mt rushmore - both were impressive. Camped next to DT - watched a group do a night climb.

Thanks, guys. Ive seen devil’s tower and mt rushmore - both were impressive. Camped next to DT - watched a group do a night climb.
OK, watching the night climb on Devil's Tower would have been awesome.

I've only seen it from a distance.