Best low light rifle scope ?

I have been wondering for a long time what are the best low light rifle scopes. I have bought a lot of scopes over the 72 years of my life but I have only owned one or two semi- high end scopes. I do know that generally speaking the less magnification the better the lower light capability. I'm sure the size of the scope and the quality of the glass are factors as well.

It would be helpful if your input would include both high end and more affordable ones?

Also I would expect a 56MM to possibly have superior light gathering ability and I would like to hear about those as well but I would have to think they would be quite heavy, so I am wondering if there might also be some in the 44MM and down class that could also be considered low light capable too even if the magnification isn't very high?

WRO

WKR
The z8 is pretty awesome too..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Dented

WKR
That comparison has no mention of either the US-based Zero Compromise (ZCO) or the Canadian-based Tangent Theta scopes? Both are normally well above those shown in the tests for clarity, coatings, and low light.

Disappointing for an "ultimate" guide.
I'm not familiar with either of those scopes. I'll certainly be chasing down some info. Have you used either of them?

Just checked them out. From $3500 to over $6000, I'd certainly expect premier level performance! 😅

Last edited:

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
It's all math - specifically exit pupil.

Scopes do not gather light they transmit it, losing it as it passes through lenses and then it hits whatever your exit pupil size is (~6mm or less depending on age) any extra is just...extra at that point.

Based on that a 6x42 fixed is a great scope, with fewer lenses and the exit pupil is 7mm.

Glass transmission rates make a difference but really all 'top brands' source the same raw materials. Coatings add 'pop' and other things but do not add to transmission - how could adding more layers add more transmission of light?

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
It's all math - specifically exit pupil.

Scopes do not gather light they transmit it, losing it as it passes through lenses and then it hits whatever your exit pupil size is (~6mm or less depending on age) any extra is just...extra at that point.

Based on that a 6x42 fixed is a great scope, with fewer lenses and the exit pupil is 7mm.

Glass transmission rates make a difference but really all 'top brands' source the same raw materials. Coatings add 'pop' and other things but do not add to transmission - how could adding more layers add more transmission of light?
I have had, compared astronomy equipement -eyepieces for years, and yes good optical coatings make a big difference in light transmission. The coating allow light to pass through instead of reflected- scattered. I have looked through scopes of the same diameter and same mag. one you see good detail with in low light the other you can't make out the image. One was an inexpensive Baush and lomb the other Swarovski needless to say which was better.

Last edited:

sdupontjr

WKR
This one. If there is one better than this one it aught to be illegal. I could easily go to jail here in Louisiana for shooting after hours.

S&B Polar 4-16x56

Attachments

• tikka.jpg
    tikka.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 68

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
This one. If there is one better than this one it aught to be illegal. I could easily go to jail here in Louisiana for shooting after hours.

S&B Polar 4-16x56
Nice rig, I have a meostar 2.5-15x56 which does very well also, definately could shoot well after legal light. What is nice on those dark cloudy days you can still see and hunt right up the last second of legal light.

Rich M

WKR
I have a 56 mm redfield illuminator from 1990. It outshines the viper line in a 1030 pm testing. No problem seeing reticle at 1030 pm that night.

I also have a Leica ER that will show you sntler points when you cant physically see the deer.

The redfield aint bad but has a tight eyebox at high mag.

sdupontjr

WKR
Nice rig, I have a meostar 2.5-15x56 which does very well also, definately could shoot well after legal light. What is nice on those dark cloudy days you can still see and hunt right up the last second of legal light.
thanks. The scope is a little heavy but the T3 308 is lite. It actually balances real well. Use it in my hardwoods where it gets dark real quick before sunset. and the illuminated dot #4 sure comes in handy.

Dented

WKR
I'd looked at the Polar scope, discontinued apparently. Or none available anytime soon.

Dented

WKR
Id love to know about thier performance, but they're a bit out of my current price range. I'm at a $3000 limit.

WRM

WKR

Leupold 6s are a good deal. I like the 36mm, but they also make a 40mm which usually runs about $100 more. $25 per mm is a lot, so I use the smaller objective and feel the light transmission is very good. As good as my 56mm Kahles--heck no. But, still very good.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
the best low light (non night vision..) rifle scope i've ever looked through was the Zeiss Diavari 6-24x 72mm. I don't think they've been made in a while. Man was it bright! Next to that, the current generation Zeiss V8 and Leica 56mm objective scopes are outstanding. Theres other good ones out there, but those 2 jump out. I look through a lot of glass..

Random: They also made a really cool version of that scope called the Hendsolt 6-24x72 with an integrated ballistics computer and display inside the scope, similar to the current Revic scopes. Pretty sweet, but $12k/ea.. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/10/worlds-most-expensive-scope-12k-hensoldt-6-24x72mm-sam/

- Matt

Wrench

WKR
the best low light (non night vision..) rifle scope i've ever looked through was the Zeiss Diavari 6-24x 72mm. I don't think they've been made in a while. Man was it bright! Next to that, the current generation Zeiss V8 and Leica 56mm objective scopes are outstanding. Theres other good ones out there, but those 2 jump out. I look through a lot of glass..

Random: They also made a really cool version of that scope called the Hendsolt 6-24x72 with an integrated ballistics computer and display inside the scope, similar to the current Revic scopes. Pretty sweet, but $12k/ea.. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/10/worlds-most-expensive-scope-12k-hensoldt-6-24x72mm-sam/

- Matt
I had that scope in 56 and it was unreal. 72 would be incredible....there's a hendzolt version as well.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not familiar with either of those scopes. I'll certainly be chasing down some info. Have you used either of them?

Just checked them out. From $3500 to over $6000, I'd certainly expect premier level performance! 😅

Once you try a ZCO, you'll never want something else. My ZCO ruined me to most other scopes....