Best optic to video through?

Stalker69

WKR
I've tried kowa, and a buddy has a Swarovski. Nether are what I would call very good photos. They aren't bad, but lacking. We have pretty much given up trying to film through them. Trying to find a good camera to take, with a large zoom instead. Even if it means leaving the spotter home.

What kind of distance are you talking?

Imo pictures for digiscoping even with a quality spotter and newer iPhone look like old flip phone pics - you can see the animals and even judge trophy quality but not good quality as a photo. Fwiw, I’ve never tried the adapters for camera body to spotter though.

You could use a supertelephoto lens on a full-frame camera in the 600mm range and a 2x teleconverter to get around 1200mm focal length but that’s probably only going to get you to equivalent of 24x or so (assuming 50mm ~= 1x FF). You might be able squeeze a little more effective zoom out by cropping the image if the resolution is high. That’s gonna run you in the mid-teens for an f4 prime lens (best results) and probably a minimum $2.5k-ish for a f6-6.5-ish zoom lens and 2x teleconverter (not including cost of camera body for both options!).

Stalker69

WKR
Agree the photos and video through the spotters have a definite “ haze” to them. No, you don’t need to spend that on a camera. Plus the size and cost is crazy with a 600mm lens( I don’t want to pack that in) We have been looking at ( haven’t found one locally yet to put our hands on) the Nikon p950 or the p1000. The 1000 has like a crazy zoom range like 3000mm ( which is more then the 60-70 power of our scopes, I believe) and from just researching on the internet, the video ( I would use mostly) doesn’t look bad at all. And there about a 1000.00, 3 pounds, and not horribly big, especially for such a huge zoom. ( there is a video in the photography section a guy posted using it at 300 yards on some deer, and it for sure is quite a bit better then ours through the spotters) And that’s a lot cheaper then our scopes, if it works half way decent.

Last edited:

mjlimey

FNG
Agree the photos and video through the spotters have a definite “ haze” to them. No, you don’t need to spend that on a camera. Plus the size and cost is crazy with a 600mm lens( I don’t want to pack that in) We have been looking at ( haven’t found one locally yet to put our hands on) the Nikon p950 or the p1000. The 1000 has like a crazy zoom range like 3000mm ( which is more then the 60-70 power of our scopes, I believe) and from just researching on the internet, the video ( I would use mostly) doesn’t look bad at all. And there about a 1000.00, 3 pounds, and not horribly big, especially for such a huge zoom. ( there is a video in the photography section a guy posted using it at 300 yards on some deer, and it for sure is quite a bit better then ours through the spotters) And that’s a lot cheaper then our scopes, if it works half way decent.
What lens on the P1000?

I have taken a load of video using my Galaxy smartphones through my Swarovski ATS 65HD. I think it does a really nice job. Here's a link to my youtube page, there's a bunch of videos shot with this setup for you to look at. I had a Nikon Coolpix P900 for a couple years and it did well inside of 300/400yds, but left a lot to be desired if you wanted to shoot further than that IMHO. It also didn't do nearly as well in low light as the spotting scope setup does.

For comparison, here's a video from the Nikon Coolpix P900 at 380yds on a deer, and one at 840yds on steel

My Vortex RZR HD 20-60x85 spotting scope paired with my iPhone takes some pretty good pics. I just send it in to Vortex yearly for a deep cleaning.

Bghuntersw

Lil-Rokslider
If budget isnt an issue, take a look at Zeiss Harpia 95, paired with magview and Samsung Galaxy is hard to beat. Ive compared several, including swaro ATS and Zeiss Harpia 85. Generally the closer you are the better quality.

RoseAllen

Lil-Rokslider
I have used sony a7iii, a7riv, sony zv e10 with sony 200mm to 600mm lens .4x teleconverter(complex with hug learning curve) even with crop factor 840mm(super35) or so I thank you will be vary disapointed in the reach(over 200 yards) and result compared to Kowa 88mm 25x 60x with or with out 1.4 teleconverter and ollin or digiscope phone case. The sony camera setup about 45 lbs. Of stuff to pack around to make it work plus $4,000.00 starting kit cost. Kowa setup phone case, spotter and open camera app. Yes, I have used the best camera adapters with lens and with out (just body). Phone is still better. I Called and ask around everyone uses phones/spotter instead of camera's who have both. Any camera experts out there which has REALLY used both setups please chime in!! A really stiff tripod, remote and a real fluid head are a must(over 200 yards) if you want really good pics and video. What works for me so far is innorel LT324C bowl 32mm tripod(3.8lbs) and Manfrotto MVH502AH HD Pro fluid head(4lbs. Or so).I would like to find lighter options these work. Under 200 yards camera is good over that digiscoping.