Best UL 1 person tent

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I would vote Tarptent for a three season tent. They are lightweight, fairly cheap and they are well built.

Some of the Tarptents can be pitched with your hiking sticks to save weight too. That is one advantage over free standing tents.

With the open mesh around the sides, you get good ventilation which helps a bunch with condensation.

Jonboy71

FNG
What's the best UL 1 person tent? That's like asking what' the best bow out there, Everyone has there own particular needs and wants when it comes to shelters and its hard to find the do all that suits everyone, I personally own a combination of shelters and I use them all in different situation's base on time of year, weather, and duration of the trip.
1-2 Day scouting trips, I will typically take my Titanium Goat Bivy sack(weights 6 oz), mainly because its quick & easy and the weather is warm, if rain in the forecast, I'll then take my Six Moon Designs Skyscape(large 1 person 3 season erects with hiking poles and weighs 26 oz. w/pegs)
Early Sept Archery Hunt Six moon design 3 season tent, I still bring the bivy sack, just in case I make an adventure far from camp
Late Sept and Rifle Season, Kirfaru Super Tarp w/annex, & bivy sack and if it later rifle season 3rd or 4th, I'll pack the stove as well!!
Granted this is an large investment in shelters, and if I had to pick just one option, I stay with the Supertarp
Aron Snyder has a great article on backcountry shelters
just my 2 cents