WTB Beware this “seller”

deadwolf

WKR
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I placed a WTB ad for a Kifaru frame and immediately got this message. No reply as you’d imagine.

724d892c197be210cf01dda5d88ab61b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Just want to add that adding todays date on a piece of papers is not an effective way to determine if they are legit. Plenty of examples of that being photoshopped.

Good catch, if they try to take the communication off the forum its a good indicator.

Good information in this thread.

If you suspect something is a scam, report their profile immediately and get the information out there. If they are trying you, they are trying others. You might save someone from losing some money.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Just want to add that adding todays date on a piece of papers is not an effective way to determine if they are legit. Plenty of examples of that being photoshopped.

Good catch, if they try to take the communication off the forum its a good indicator.

Good information in this thread.

If you suspect something is a scam, report their profile immediately and get the information out there. If they are trying you, they are trying others. You might save someone from losing some money.

Yessir. Just a shame we have to even deal with it. A@$holes

CorbLand

WKR
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Yessir. Just a shame we have to even deal with it. A@$holes

Yes, yes it is but all we can do is bring it to people attention. Thats why I usually post in these threads is so anyone that reads it has a chance to learn.

Not that I am an expert but I have played the game long enough.

Another good thing to do is to post the profiles name in the thread so if someone searches it, it will pop up. Search wont return any results if its a picture.

cgcox90

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I had some recent communication from a similar account on here. A quick look at his profile revealed he joined a couple days prior and then just went through to a bunch of random threads with odd comments to reach his activity threshold.

I flagged it and the account was down when I checked next day.

Like you said, it's a bummer, but is what it is. Just gotta do a little check to see if legit or not.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
FWIW, I had some recent communication from a similar account on here. A quick look at his profile revealed he joined a couple days prior and then just went through to a bunch of random threads with odd comments to reach his activity threshold.

I flagged it and the account was down when I checked next day.

Like you said, it's a bummer, but is what it is. Just gotta do a little check to see if legit or not.

Some are learning and getting way better though. I almost got nailed a couple weeks ago. There’s a whole thread about it. High quality photoshop of usernames/dates, and photos I requested of the item. Profile was over a year old with comments on threads that were good. With a little digging, turns out he had copied comments off other forums and pasted them into appropriate threads on here. I only caught on once he refused to take a phone call, and we started discussing payment. Be careful out there

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
He mustve just went through all the WTB posts, he messaged me too. By the time I could report him he was already banned. Its usually pretty easy to tell by the wording or request to email instead of communicating through private message.

TX_Diver

WKR
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
He mustve just went through all the WTB posts, he messaged me too. By the time I could report him he was already banned. Its usually pretty easy to tell by the wording or request to email instead of communicating through private message.

Out of curiosity what is the red flag with texting or communicating outside of PMs?

I've bought & sold via text after an initial PM a few times (as recently as today). Both buying and selling I've started video chatting to validate stuff though as I had someone photoshop a note a few years back.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Out of curiosity what is the red flag with texting or communicating outside of PMs?

I've bought & sold via text after an initial PM a few times (as recently as today). Both buying and selling I've started video chatting to validate stuff though as I had someone photoshop a note a few years back.

Yep. I will never do another deal on Rokslide WITHOUT getting a personal number and at least taking a phone call, if not a video call. Anyone I want to deal with shouldn’t have a problem with that. I’ve made several good buddies that I keep in touch with regularly through sales on here

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Always ask to talk on the phone, shoot the shit talking about hunting for a few minutes. Easy to tell if they’re the real deal or not.

If they don’t give you as least 3 honey holes to prove they are legit, threaten to report them as a spammer immediately and get them banned.

CorbLand

WKR
Rating - 100%
16   0   0

Its two fold.

They try to pull the communication off the forum so if they get banned (highly likely) they can keep working with you.

These places are organized. I would bet he PMd most people that had an open WTB thread within the first couple pages. Them taking the communication off the forum and to somewhere else allows them to spread out the work involved.

There are a couple Youtube channels of people that screw with scammers. They generally work with the ones that call you and say you need to send them giftcards to get your money back but watch a couple of them and you will understand more how they work and what they do. They are basically running a business.

Last edited:

Maverick1

WKR
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks, everyone. Crappy this has to be done but appreciate these types of messages. Helps keep anyone of us from getting burned.

TX_Diver

WKR
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Its two fold.

They try to pull the communication off the forum so if they get banned (highly likely) they can keep working with you.

These places are organized. I would bet he PMd most people that had an open WTB thread within the first couple pages. Them taking the communication off the forum and to somewhere else allows them to spread out the work involved.

There are a couple Youtube channels of people that screw with scammers. They generally work with the ones that call you and say you need to send them giftcards to get your money back but watch a couple of them and you will understand more how they work and what they do. They are basically running a business.

That makes sense.

Always ask to talk on the phone, shoot the shit talking about hunting for a few minutes. Easy to tell if they’re the real deal or not.

If they don’t give you as least 3 honey holes to prove they are legit, threaten to report them as a spammer immediately and get them banned.

Anyone who can't define BOAL, MHG, AVB, and/or RSS could be suspicious!