Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL 3 v. Nemo Dagger 3P

KGRoth

FNG
Folks, I have a couple different backcountry set-ups but am in need of a 3P floored shelter for summer backpacking with the lady and the dogs. Has anyone used either or both of these tents that may be willing to shed some light on benefits or downsides of either? I am normally a Nemo guy but the Big Agnes is similar sized for about 1 pound less.

Any other better options out there?

Thanks!

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the nemo dagger 3p for 10 days backpacking with wife and two medium dogs. Tent is lightweight, packs small enough, and well designed. The problem with either tent is they are soo lightweight the fabric is really thin and dogs nails will easily tear fabric. And the nails get sharp hiking over rocks.

I use a tarp to line the floor which works well but adds 1lb weight. Biggest con is i have to constantly watch so dogs don't paw tent sides, like asking to go pee at night or after hearing a bird or animal. It's only a matter of time before dogs rip the tent and I have to send it back for repairs.

Consider a heavier tent with heavier fabric and a floor tarp is mandatory. I tried using dog boots but they require constant attention. Good luck.

I’ve been researching for that exact scenario on here for a week now. I’m really leaning towards a tarp or tipi because of the dogs nails. I’m not into dropping that kind of cash only to have it ripped when I knew it would be an issue beforehand.
That said, I’m worried about my lab going under the sidewall during the night. My 2 possible solutions so far are to either have extra tie downs sewn into the tarp or stake the dog inside the tent for the night.
I’ll be following here, hoping for a better solution.

OP
K

KGRoth

FNG
The goal is the dogs are so tired they arent moving around much inside of the tent :) I see Nemo made a "Pawprint" for the tent floor for this exact reason but it looks like the dagger version has been discontinued. I have a message out to Nemo wondering about this or if they have any other recommendations. Big Agnes makes a tent floor protector but it is heavy - around 3 pounds.