Billings fishing

Taking my boys to Montana next week will be just north of Billings. Was wondering how far we would have to drive to get on some decent fishing they would love to spend an afternoon trying to catch something. We will be hunting morning an evening so trying to limit driving but so far. Was wondering if someone could point us in a direction to wet a line for a bit. Thanks in advance for advice.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Yellowstone River runs right through Billings. Not sure how the fishing is.

Rcol317

FNG
I believe the better fishing on the Yellowstone is up by Livingston through Paradise Valley.

The Guide

WKR
Taking my boys to Montana next week will be just north of Billings. Was wondering how far we would have to drive to get on some decent fishing they would love to spend an afternoon trying to catch something. We will be hunting morning an evening so trying to limit driving but so far. Was wondering if someone could point us in a direction to wet a line for a bit. Thanks in advance for advice.
Where at exactly are you hunting? "North of Billings" accounts for a ton of area and lots of fishing spots. I'll help you the best I can.

Jay

The Guide

WKR
I believe the better fishing on the Yellowstone is up by Livingston through Paradise Valley.
The Yellowstone has great fishing from the Yellowstone Park border to where it leaves the state on the North Dakota border. It changes from a cool water fishery above Billings to a warm water fishery below Billings. One of the few bodies of water you can catch a cutthroat trout, a sauger, a channel catfish, and a paddlefish in by just changing your location by driving along a major interstate.

Jay

Mt Al

WKR
As The Guide says, how far north? I haven't seen the Mussleshell or fished it for way too long, worth looking at if you're close to Roundup. But the Yellowstone is the likely bet. As a kid, we used to put as many worms as we could on a treble hook with a bobber and try for carp in some of the slow moving water, or back eddies/small channels. They're not on the 'approved' trophy fish list, but are way fun to catch! Never know what you might haul up, sometimes a sauger or channel cat.

I'd just call the local fishing shops and get their take, IMHO.

OP
F
Thanks for the advice guys! We’re near roundup. Was hoping to find a trout stream since we don’t live near anything like that at home. But don’t sound like anything like that near here from the guys I’ve talked to around here.

The Guide

WKR
Thanks for the advice guys! We’re near roundup. Was hoping to find a trout stream since we don’t live near anything like that at home. But don’t sound like anything like that near here from the guys I’ve talked to around here.
The Musselshell right near Roundup is a mostly warm water fishery. There is a good trout fishery a little further north at Lewistown.

Jay

Mt Al

WKR
especially if you're hunting morning and evening - kind of a long haul to trout water. If you tag out early, Big Spring in Lewsitown is a fun place to fish.