Bino harness discomfort

sr80

WKR
Im using a marsupial harness, with a pair of 9x45, and when i am packing a load i find the bino harness super uncomfortable on my shoulders, it almost feels like my pack shoulder straps are adjusted too short so all the weight of the pack is on my shoulders. But if i take the bino harness off, no discomfort, anyone experienced this before?

I had that issue on my first hunt, but I was using a cheaper harness that just had the 1/2-3/4” straps on my shoulders with no padding. However, since I’ve tried nice harnesses (Marsupial and KUIU) that has not been an issue.

Only thing I can think of is to make the straps that go around your back and clip in on the side tighter to take the weight off your shoulders.

How long can you hike before the discomfort sets in? Have you tried hiking with just the Bino harness and just the pack to isolate the issue? It could be a combination of the two rather than either one individually. Depending on your pack, you can adjust the angle they lay on your shoulders.

OP
sr80

sr80

WKR
I had that issue on my first hunt, but I was using a cheaper harness that just had the 1/2-3/4” straps on my shoulders with no padding. However, since I’ve tried nice harnesses (Marsupial and KUIU) that has not been an issue.

Only thing I can think of is to make the straps that go around your back and clip in on the side tighter to take the weight off your shoulders.

How long can you hike before the discomfort sets in? Have you tried hiking with just the Bino harness and just the pack to isolate the issue? It could be a combination of the two rather than either one individually. Depending on your pack, you can adjust the angle they lay on your shoulders.
yeah its kinda strange, ive never had a problem before. Kinda seems like it started with my new pack. Zero issues with it without the bino harness on. I ordered another bino harness to try here.

I’ve had a few types of harnesses. I swear the harnesses have smaller pinch points than a giant heavy pack. Prob because of the smaller spread.

Here’s what I’ve done. When I have a backpack on, I finagle the bino harness to somehow latch or hang off the center backpack chest strap that is horizontal. That helps to take the weight off my neck from the bino harness

Small hoodies also help when no pack to move the pinch point when wearing my bino harness with no backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im using a marsupial harness, with a pair of 9x45, and when i am packing a load i find the bino harness super uncomfortable on my shoulders, it almost feels like my pack shoulder straps are adjusted too short so all the weight of the pack is on my shoulders. But if i take the bino harness off, no discomfort, anyone experienced this before?
Yeah, I didn’t love the comfort on it either, not the worst but felt it more than most

If it’s the straps themselves cutting into your shoulders, might be worth looking into getting the padded mesh harness they sell.

nobody

WKR
This. Your lower bino harness straps serve the same purpose as a waist belt on your pack, in that they transfer weight and redistribute it to other parts of your body. I see sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many guys running around the hills with their bino harnesses loose around their torsos and their binos hanging down below their ribcage around their belly.

Tighten up the shoulder straps until the binos hang in the middle if your chest (it's called a chest harness, isn't it?). Then tighten up your lower straps until you can feel them pulling tension and holding things from shifting. Then slightly loosen your upper straps to move some of the weight to the lower straps. It's just like your big pack, and fitting it to your body is critical.

The part that wasn’t comfortable on mine was the sewn tabs being more profile than most and causing pressure points under the shoulder straps at the top of my back

OP
sr80

sr80

WKR
This. Your lower bino harness straps serve the same purpose as a waist belt on your pack, in that they transfer weight and redistribute it to other parts of your body. I see sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many guys running around the hills with their bino harnesses loose around their torsos and their binos hanging down below their ribcage around their belly.

Tighten up the shoulder straps until the binos hang in the middle if your chest (it's called a chest harness, isn't it?). Then tighten up your lower straps until you can feel them pulling tension and holding things from shifting. Then slightly loosen your upper straps to move some of the weight to the lower straps. It's just like your big pack, and fitting it to your body is critical.
thanks for the tip, i definitely have tension on the lower straps but ive never adjusted the upper ones to transfer some weight. Ill give that a try today

elk_hntr

FNG
I have really bad shoulders (3 surgeries on my right and 1 on my left). My marsupial used to really hurt my shoulders after a long day of hunting (had same issues with previous harnesses too, not just marsupial). I started wearing my binos for everything from hunting trips, sxs rides, family hikes, mountain biking, etc. Now my shoulders rarely get sore from the binos. I have to treat anything that touches my shoulders like a pair of new boots, they need broke into each other for the most comfortable fit.