Boots for POW Island, October

cs1

FNG
Planning a blacktail trip for ‘25 on Prince of Wales island. A long ways out, but no time like the present to plan stuff out. We will be going mid-late October and I’m trying to figure out the boot issue.
Should I worry with full-rubber boots? Or will waterproof hikers be sufficient? I’ve heard it could be snowing or raining or both. My worry is I have narrow, low volume feet and can’t seem to find a rubber boot that fits at all close to being hikable. I’ve tried on LaCrosse and Mucks and my feet swim inside from side to side no matter what heavy weight sock I try.
Will good gaters and waterproof hikers be enough?

LostArra

WKR
There will be rain.

Camping?
Is it possible to take multiple pairs of boots?

Not many places on earth can test waterproofness of footwear like Alaska which is why Xtratuf is the official boot of POW.

Last edited:

3Esski

FNG
xtratuffs have sure gone down hill the past few years. finally had to replace my old ones and it hasn't been a positivee outcome.

OP
C

cs1

FNG
We’ll be staying in a cabin, with boot driers, hairdryers, etc. Washer and dryer means i’ll have an unlimited amount of clean dry socks and i always carry dry socks with me in the field. I can take as much stuff as i want seeing i’ll be paying for extra baggage anyway.
My main concern with Xtratuf’s (or any rubber boot for that matter) is that my foot will move around too much when hiking. I could roll my ankle in the Muck’s i tried and the boot wouldn’t even have to move.
I would rather have cold, wet feet than be stuck in a pair of rubbers that i can’t even walk correctly in (this theory may come back to haunt me).

dtrkyman

WKR
No experience in AK. but a full leather goretex boot with a gator sounds good for a back up to the rubbers!

daisy024

FNG
My husband spent a lot of time in Alaska. He recommends Xtratufs and one or more pair of wool socks.

LoggerDan

WKR
I’m logging on Reville island right now, and if I were you, I’d get a pair of Hoffman XtraTuffs with logging corks. Then get yourself some Bama socks. They keep the feet dry from sweat and eat up the extra room. Good thick rubber rain fear bands around your ankles and calves help.

OP
C

cs1

FNG
Thanks for the responses. I’m just going to get some Xtratuf’s and see what happens. In the total scheme of the hunt, a pair of rubbers isn’t going to matter much.