Budget 1,000 Yard Rangefinders

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Looking for a couple rangefinders for my boys for Christmas. They currently have some cheaper Athlons that aren’t very reliable. I am currently comparing these models in price and capability:

- Vortex Crossfire HD 1400
- Leupold RX 1400
- Sig Kilo Canyon

I’m looking for actual experiences with any of these or other comparable models. I currently use the Vortex 4000 so I’m leaning to that brand…

Thanks!

The Leupold Rx the girlfriend had was used very little. In about 3-4 yrs the leds were so faint that you could not read the yardage. They have no warranty on their rangefinders. We both have vortex now.

Scottf270

WKR
I have an older Leica brand rangefinder. My nephew bought a cheaper model Leupold. His does okay in open country.

However, the beam his puts out must be "wider" as he ranged a buck I went after this year and he said it was 496 yards. It was in some brush and stubble.

I stalked at least 300 yards towards the buck and took a reading with my Leica. It said the buck was still at 375 yards. I got to within 294 and killed the buck.

Moral of the story is the cheaper units may not have a concentrated beam and are harder to aim and could give incorrect readings. I have had superb service from my Leica and would never scrimp on a budget model when a better model is $500 or less and will last a life time. Buy once, cry once.

OP
H

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Thanks. I should mention I do want the unit to have angle compensation.

I have an older Leica Rangemaster that works like new. Just doesn’t do angles.

Leaning hard toward the vortex.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Vortex Ranger 1800 I would sell for $250 shipped. It's sitting in a drawer at my camp but can get pictures this weekend. I bought a Leica that communicates with my Kestrel so I no longer use it. It's barely been used. It does have angle compensation.

OP
H

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Thanks, but I just pulled the trigger on a Vortex 2000 on a cyber Monday deal. Great price @$239.