Building a Crate

If you were going to build a crate to ship a Moose rack (European style, horns attached) how big would you build based on a generic under 60" bull that would fit 90% of what gets harvested?? Would 30x35x64 be big enough?

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
I will check my notebook at home and get you some measurements.
I shipped a 48" bull from Alberta to Montreal Quebec.
**Sorry just re read and noticed your looking for a generic size. I have never built a generic box, I build them custom for each euro mount**

Last edited:

SWOHTR

WKR
Do not recommend a generic build. You’re likely to end up an inch to small or big enough to fit the entire state of Rhode Island in it.

I’ve moved with taxidermy 4 times, ask me how I know….

OP
Airohunter
I agree there's voodoo in making a crate ahead of time, hoping to simplify my return home.
I figured there's a few people on this forum that probably build several a year and might be able to shed some light on my dimensions in general. I have considered a very worst case scenario of cutting one horn off at the base and re-attaching it. I did a similar thing with my Caribou so I am not intimidated by the idea.

OP
Airohunter
I will check my notebook at home and get you some measurements.
I shipped a 48" bull from Alberta to Montreal Quebec.
**Sorry just re read and noticed your looking for a generic size. I have never built a generic box, I build them custom for each euro mount**
Any rough dimensions of the last few you have built would even be helpful. TY

Does your airline or cargo company have some sort of crate requirement?

A few pipe insulation tubes, couple contractor bags, Amazon boxes, a couple rolls of duct tape, and plastic wrap works just fine. If allowed.

Attachments

• IMG_6945.jpeg
    IMG_6945.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 19
OP
Airohunter
We are also electing to bring our own camping gear so I will already have a fair amount of cargo to ship.
In the end it may not make sense but I'm certainly vetting the option.

Djacker

WKR
Does your airline or cargo company have some sort of crate requirement?

A few pipe insulation tubes, couple contractor bags, Amazon boxes, a couple rolls of duct tape, and plastic wrap works just fine. If allowed.
I did exactly this last year, worked great. If avaliable, look into flying all your gear Alaska Air cargo. I also saw a group fly 4 sets of caribou antlers wrapped together, as baggage. The box was looked like an old refrigerator box.