Building all around hunting clothing system

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
I am building my arsenal of clothing, no preference on brand, will use any of the name brands if they are better, will also use cheap insulation layers since they don’t show. Looking for light base layers that can be used as stand alone systems and then keep layering until late season and rain gear. What’s everyone system look like? Seems like I have read first lite merino is the best and kuiu has the best rain gear. Does that seem to be everyone’s experience?

Should add early season mule deer, and whitetail could be as high as 80 maybe even 90 and late season down to well below freezing, but usually when it’s that cold I’ll throw on the carharts and sit in a heated blind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I started the same process as you about a year ago. For a variety of factors (availability of gently used gear, fit, and local retail options) I ended up with a fair bit of Sitka with some FL and EB mixed in. I did not like my FL base layers. I find the Sitka dries off more quickly when I’m really exerting during the early season. The polygiene keeps stink reasonable, and frankly I don’t care too much about that anyways.

Edited to say: I don’t own any rain gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
From skin side to outside:

Terramar and Ex Officio skivvies
Ibex Woolies 1 top/bottoms or Medalist wool blend medium weight top and bottom if it's really cold
Core4 lightweight camo tops and Predator camo tops for archery season.
Wrangler Outdoors pants, or Icebreaker pants depending on season.
Icebreaker midweight wool zip jacket.
Black Diamond full zip hoodie in green
Russell primaloft vest.
Kuiu 1st gen Superdown in brown
Simms grey rain jacket
Rab Event rain pants
Darn tough boot socks
Schnee Kestrel for early season, replaced some worn out Garmont hikers
Hanwag Alaska or Zamberlan 980 GTX tall boots for mid to late
Hoffman Mt Pacs for cold and snow.

Honorable mention to OR Verglas gaiters, Marmot precip overmitts, eddie bauer guide gloves, black diamond polarfleece gloves, cheap Walmart stocking cap, Cabelas Primaloft puffy for super cold weather.

I focus on functional, comfortable and multi use. Other than archery season clothing in the US, I avoid camo. It is frowned on and makes you a target overseas. Even here, if I get my animal/s early, I like to have clothes that are town appropriate to spend the rest of my vacation fishing and seeing sights.

The above has worked in some combination from Alaska to New Mexico and a few places outside the US.

Jeremy