Cabela's new price matching effort seems like an attempt to stay relevant-especially for club card holders..

Too little too late for me.

Tried the price matching thing twice since BP took over, here's how it went.

First off, I had a ton of gift certificates from Christmas, Cabelas used to be my favorite store.

Thought I might pick up a Ruger 10-22. Online Cabelas was $100 higher than local stores, went in with price match info. Sales associate could not do it, I pressed further, he got the supervisor. Supervisor scrutinized the ad to death, went in back room for 20 minutes. Came out, said it was not "like for like", "the stock was a different color". "Nothing he could do".
I left pissed off, bought gun at competitor.

Still had gift certificates.

A month later, thought I might get a nice smoker. Online Cabelas was $100 higher than competitors, went in with ad for price match info. Same story, supervisor came over, he would not match. Love this part... Said, he "will have to Find The Difference". It was identical in every way. Almost. He found it, the Cabelas smoker has one more wire rack. Not "like for like". He don't have to match. I left pissed off again.

They won, both times. They kept their product, I kept my money.
Notified friends and family - No more Cabelas gift certificates!

.... the Death of Cabelas
Update -
Cabela's credit card got cancelled this month, due to Inactivity.
The card, was only used at Cabela's and still had me at 'Signature status' level, pre-basspro.

.....R.I.P. Cabelas

Wideback

FNG
Cabelas business model catered to 50+ year old men 20 years ago and they never adapted to the new age. They remind me of Kmart, which is extinct now. Haven't shopped there in years, with no plans to again. Scheels and other small businesses get my money.

Use to go to a Cabela's weekly for something to do on Friday nights (Best thing around to do when living in a small town and got tired of the bar scene). Once the family was bought out the place went down hill. They were run like a local store till then. I haven't bought anything from them in years and doubt I ever will again.