Calling all Colorado Bear aficionados

Hnthrdr

WKR
So here is the deal. I have largely neglected focusing on these wooly buggers in favor of chasing elk during Sept. it might be time to pay back the ungulates and knock down a bear this fall. Yes I know oak brush and water, but my unit does not have much if any oak brush in it. We are talking 12k-8/7.5 k mostly alpine up top to lodge pole with some aspen meadows mixed in, lower stuff is ponderosa/ sage and some riparian corridors. There are raspberry’s choke cherry and the like as well. So this if for talking tactics, is it spot and stalking? Calling near known food/ water sources? Would love to hear from some passionate bear hunters

One interesting note. Several years ago I saw bears everywhere, ( I did not have a tag of course) last year, it was super wet and didn’t see hardly any. I have my theories on this, but wondering if anyone else experienced the same, my guess is with all the food there was little need to travel.

Watching this as well. I’m in the same boat, going this year with a group of elk hunters. Every year I elk hunt I see bears, hopefully this year is the same and I’ll have a bear tag. Best wishes

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
If you just want to kill a bear and don't care how I would just shoot an elk and kill a bear over the carcass.I used to do it back when I didn't have so many hunts in September but now I prefer taking someone else elk hunting or going to the next state rather than spend a few days shooting a bear and taking it in to get checked.I always encourage others in our group to do it though

dlee56

WKR
Sounds like a good place to look for a dispersed aspen stand (thick enough to be a big aspen stand but not so thick it chokes out undergrowth) with thick tangled chokecherry. Take a walk in this nasty stuff until you find a bear trail (padded down foliage, not beat with hooves), you might also see bear “tunnels” through the tangle of chokecherry. Follow the bear trail until you hit a spring or wallow, mark it on your map, and come sit there all day everyday.

It can be boring hunting, but if you can hang a tree stand in a nearby aspen or just get a good sitting spot you’re in business guaranteed.

OP
Hnthrdr

Hnthrdr

WKR
Sounds like you have done this a time or two, I have only hunted Co and some other western states, so all day sits with little to look at may test me haha but I might see if I can have a good vantage point over looking a drainage like (if im going to sit I need to be able to glass a fair amount) haha

feanor

WKR
Are you able to get an elk tag too? I’d get both and TRY to prioritize the bear. But if the opportunity is there, shoot the elk haha

OP
Hnthrdr

Hnthrdr

WKR
Are you able to get an elk tag too? I’d get both and TRY to prioritize the bear. But if the opportunity is there, shoot the elk haha
Hahaha I may have an elk tag, if I do I will 1000% chase elk and sit a gut pile later… but part of me wants to force myself to hunt bears… hot dang I wish we had a bear opener of Aug 1…

feanor

WKR
Yeah I feel your pain. I would have a hard time not going for elk too. But I understand your mindset.
Almost every time I’ve hunting elk, I’ve stumbled on bears though. So if I did “hunt” bear, I would probably just do my normal elk hunt and then hopefully kill a bear in the process.

dlee56

WKR
Sounds like you have done this a time or two, I have only hunted Co and some other western states, so all day sits with little to look at may test me haha but I might see if I can have a good vantage point over looking a drainage like (if im going to sit I need to be able to glass a fair amount) haha
Fair enough, the sits can be brutal. The nice thing is that in that tight foliage you’ll hear anything before you could have seen it. Sometimes I’ll bring a book and just listen for movement on the trails.
The last time I did this I sat since 6am and shot a nice bear at 11am. 19 7/8” skull, 6’7” hide.

OP
Hnthrdr

Hnthrdr

WKR
Fair enough, the sits can be brutal. The nice thing is that in that tight foliage you’ll hear anything before you could have seen it. Sometimes I’ll bring a book and just listen for movement on the trails.
The last time I did this I sat since 6am and shot a nice bear at 11am. 19 7/8” skull, 6’7” hide.
I know of 1 spot in my area that fits the description, luckily I think I can sit on ridge a few hundred yards away and see into the drainage but also have some other areas to look at. Have my second little one coming in July so all day sits might be tough, it will be more like pop in hunt a handful of hours and then get home to help momma. Not the best way to hunt but I’ll get what I can take

OP
Hnthrdr

Hnthrdr

WKR
Last year there was zero where we normally have lots of opportunity up high while chasing elk.
Interesting 🧐 see my theory was they stayed high… I was mid mountain a lot and didn’t see hide nor hair nor scat where in prior (drier) years have seen a bunch

dlee56

WKR
I know of 1 spot in my area that fits the description, luckily I think I can sit on ridge a few hundred yards away and see into the drainage but also have some other areas to look at. Have my second little one coming in July so all day sits might be tough, it will be more like pop in hunt a handful of hours and then get home to help momma. Not the best way to hunt but I’ll get what I can take
I like it man, gotta help out momma. Sons like you have a good plan.

CObywayofUSAF

Lil-Rokslider
The units I hunt, it seems they are pretty abundant and I don't know that there is any rhyme or reason. I hunt elk in Sept, shot one on day 1 of archery 2021, could have shot multiple in 2022 (no tag focused on elk), and 2023 way VERY wet during the muzzleloader season and I didn't see a single one. I hunt up high around 11K so I guess we had pretty similar experiences.

I tend to hunt the same way though. Focus on elk and keep the tag in my pocket for the right bear/opportunity. I'll probably also lean towards putting down a bear this year. They are exciting to hunt and taste great on top of it.

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any pictures of chokecherry or other prime bear food? I Google search and I just get pictures of berries and fruit trees and I don’t think I’ve ever seen something like that in Colorado

If you just want to kill a bear and don't care how I would just shoot an elk and kill a bear over the carcass.I used to do it back when I didn't have so many hunts in September but now I prefer taking someone else elk hunting or going to the next state rather than spend a few days shooting a bear and taking it in to get checked.I always encourage others in our group to do it though
I second this. I killed my bear doing exactly this. I went with just my bear tag and waited for somebody else in my group to kill something. My brother killed a cow elk and I was fortunate enough to see a bear coming into the gutpile.

dlee56

WKR
Anyone have any pictures of chokecherry or other prime bear food? I Google search and I just get pictures of berries and fruit trees and I don’t think I’ve ever seen something like that in Colorado
Got these off google. Blossoms are in the spring and berries (or lack of berries) will be the fall. These are chokecherries

Attachments

• IMG_5065.jpeg
    IMG_5065.jpeg
    765.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5064.jpeg
    IMG_5064.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5063.jpeg
    IMG_5063.jpeg
    868.4 KB · Views: 10