Can't Reach Out For Help From Guys Who Have Been There????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys in eastern states try to draw tags and go out west and hunt DIY totally blind. We cant make multiple trips to scout. You e-scout and get info from game wardens and biologists but NOTHING compares to help from a guy who had the hunt. Roads not to use, crowded areas, no water, etc. That info can save a whole day of wasted time!!!! 24 hr drives back home with nothing totally sucks! Why is it a mortal sin to get help via PM??????
To your point, don't expect online strangers to give up units and spots they've spent time and sweat to develop. Even with PMs how do we know that the receiver of the info is not gonna bring 4 of his buddies who are going to tell their buddies? Get it? I'm willing to help out close friends and others who have proven that they've done their diligence but I can't just give away my hard earned proven spots. Most reasonable and dedicated hunters would understand that. Part of the fun and satisfaction of Western is figuring it out on your own, sometimes with some "general" help (no units, roads) from RS members. Not to sound cold hearted but if one doesn’t have the time or inclination to figure it out go on a guided hunt and learn the basics. Best to all hunting this Fall.

OP
Beaglegun

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
When i grow up i wanna be a rokslide badass. I want everybody to experiance multiple failures so they can earn it and be a badass like me. Better yet, they will never apply again and i can have better chance to draw. 👍

What a crock of shiiiiit.
When i grow up i wanna be a rokslide badass to
Well, that probably won’t help you get much information. Lol.
A guy from an eastern state trying to drive out and do a OTC DIY backcountry backpack hunt as a first timer just might not be a realistic thing. If you’re going to ask for advice, I would be very specific with my question.
If you go into it asking “so what’s unit 999 in Colorado like”. You’re not gonna get anywhere.

fatlander

WKR
When i grow up i wanna be a rokslide badass. I want everybody to experiance multiple failures so they can earn it and be a badass like me. Better yet, they will never apply again and i can have better chance to draw.

Put me on a 160” public land Kentucky velvet buck and I’ll put you on a 300” bull. Ball’s in your court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When i grow up i wanna be a rokslide badass. I want everybody to experiance multiple failures so they can earn it and be a badass like me. Better yet, they will never apply again and i can have better chance to draw. 👍
Chill out my dude. You could get all the information you ever wanted and still fail. It happens. I failed at elk hunting a hell of a lot more than I’ve succeeded. No one likes going home empty-handed but if it’s going to upset you that much I wouldn’t suggest even getting started.

Jethro

WKR
Guys in eastern states try to draw tags and go out west and hunt DIY totally blind. We cant make multiple trips to scout. You e-scout and get info from game wardens and biologists but NOTHING compares to help from a guy who had the hunt. Roads not to use, crowded areas, no water, etc. That info can save a whole day of wasted time!!!! 24 hr drives back home with nothing totally sucks! Why is it a mortal sin to get help via PM??????
Nothing is stopping you from sending a PM to somebody and asking them some questions. What you can't do is post a question with unit # in the public forum and expect others to just PM you the answer.

I have exchanged PM's about units with many guys, including a handful that have already posted on this thread. I've never met any of them, but I know who they are and they know who I am. We have exchanged information and nothing we ever discussed has been blasted to the public on the www. That is the kind of trust that is possible when you stay active enough on a forum so that guys can learn who you are.

It has nothing to do with being badass. In your case specifically, more posts and allowing other to learn who you are, may not gain you anything.

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
First time I hunted Wyoming me and a buddy had 4 tags each. I had never been with in 400 miles of the State. I spent countless hours researching the unit. The most important information I got from sites like this one was how to determine open roads. Then I was able to find land I could access to hunt. Heck I now find researching a hunt to be almost the most enjoyable part of the hunt. Heck the hunt only last a few days. I can spend months digging for the gold.
So the best advice I can give a new hunter heading out West are these few things.
1. Learn how the draw system works.
2. Have a good mapping system to determine access.
3. Understand the regulations.
4. Get up and hunt every day all day and don't give up.

Remember there are really three ways to hunt out West.
1. Pay for a guided hunt.
2. Know a landowner.
3. DIY.
The DIY means just that Do It Yourself.

Put your time and effort in and you can be successful. Oh and that fist trip to Wyoming we managed to fill 7 of those 8 tags. We could of filled them all but I wanted a better mule deer.
Best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.