Chinese Tarrifs

brsnow

WKR
I do understand the value, was just pointing out the USA used the same tactics to grow
while it was emerging. Does capitalism really have sides bro?

SWOHTR

WKR
I get where you are coming from, but in reality there is probably no business you buy from that doesn’t “do business with China”. Whether it is raw materials, manufacturing, or simply the equipment being used, you can’t escape it. There is a 100% chance that the electronic device you are using right now was made almost completely in China with foreign materials. BTW, I don’t think Larry was doing what you seemingly implied - making a product for cheaper and charging the same price. The prices he quoted showed a $600-800 margin based on Canadian/Chinese manufacture. It’s hard to blame anyone when the sales figures prove that people will buy the China made raft at a rate of 2:1 when given the choice. Keep in mind, for his product, the materials and build quality are the same. The only difference is who is putting the raft together. I try to “buy American” when I can, particularly on items I intend to use for a long time or when the Made in the USA tag means improved quality. I find I do this more as I grow older, in part because these USA made items were too expensive when I was younger and I wasn’t so conscious of it back then. But truth be told, based on what Larry said, I would probably choose the Chinese made raft over the USA made raft because the extra $600 doesn’t buy a higher build quality, better materials, or improved performance. Maybe that makes me part of the problem...
You’re right, it’s basically unavoidable. I get businesses doing what they need to do to survive. I hate the almost instinctive move to send production overseas...esp to China.

Dos XX

WKR
Why do you think Nissan, Toyota, etc. are building automobiles in the USA now?

Shrek

WKR
Why do you think Nissan, Toyota, etc. are building automobiles in the USA now?
Pickup trucks are due to tariffs and cars due to voluntary Japanese import quotas agreed to many years ago to avoid tariffs and mandatory quotas. If I remember correctly it goes back to the mid eighties.

Shrek

WKR

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
I find it interesting that those arguing hardest against a trade war, conveniently forget about the impact of foreign production on the environment. I am not a global warming disaster believer. But I do care about our water, the ocean and air we breath. We sent US manufacturing to countries that knowingly pollute to increase profits. And not just China. The average American consumer endorses the practice by purchasing cheap goods. I for one would rather pay more to American workers and know I am not poisoning our planet. If tariff's bring any manufacturing back to the USA, it's good on a number of levels.

Tariffs won’t bring any meaningful production to the US. There are still plenty of Asian countries to make us all the widgets we need for less money than US workers. Tariffs will hurt our economy and cost US jobs. Nothing wrong with reasonable tariffs. No winners in a trade war.

Shrek

WKR
Tariffs won’t bring any meaningful production to the US. There are still plenty of Asian countries to make us all the widgets we need for less money than US workers. Tariffs will hurt our economy and cost US jobs. Nothing wrong with reasonable tariffs. No winners in a trade war.
So , there’s plenty of other Asian countries to to make cheap chit cheap in but utilizing them will hurt our economy and cost Americans jobs ? Personally I’m in complete agreement that there’s plenty of places to make products other than China but quite the opposite of what you believe I’m sure we will save many high paying jobs by reducing Chinese intellectual property theft AND improve the worlds security by impeding Chinese imperialism.

All I can say is I hope this all gets ironed out. I work for the freight division of one of the huge shipping companies. I have always heard that LTL freight is an early barometer of economic health. Well it is slow to say the least. Guys sitting home and not just here in the midwest or with just this company. Seems from everything I have read the company I work for isn't the only one that did a bunch of hiring this last fall/winter. I speculate other companies may have followed suit. Great for those unemployment numbers hey?? Well I have a feeling if this isn't sorted out soon that some of these economic numbers will start catching up to mr trump at the wrong time and there will be a liberal swing come 2020.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kilboars

WKR
It's going to hurt me financially but it needs to be done and we've got the right guy in office to do it.

At least our economy is good unlike Chinas.

So , there’s plenty of other Asian countries to to make cheap chit cheap in but utilizing them will hurt our economy and cost Americans jobs ? Personally I’m in complete agreement that there’s plenty of places to make products other than China but quite the opposite of what you believe I’m sure we will save many high paying jobs by reducing Chinese intellectual property theft AND improve the worlds security by impeding Chinese imperialism.

So you choose to believe that increased tariffs leading to a trade war will not result in a net loss of jobs? Must be nice in your fantasy land.

Shrek

WKR
So you choose to believe that increased tariffs leading to a trade war will not result in a net loss of jobs? Must be nice in your fantasy land.
My fantasy land is based on the fact that there are plenty of places to make products and those places will have dollars to spend that they earned from us to spend with us on high value manufacturing products and services. I believe there will be more American jobs not less. Look at the steel tariffs. All the doomsayers saying it’s going to kill jobs. All I’ve seen is thousands of new steelworkers and billions of new investments to reopen and modernize mills.