CO Bear Spray or Sidearm?

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Archery elk hunting SW Colorado.
few years ago, on the 8th hunt day, almost left the 357mag in camp. Just to reduce weight on the climb up the ridge. 5 hours later, darn glad I had the 357mag. Dropped a charging boar at 20', came into my cow/calf calls. The bears are out there in the SW units. Saw several bear the last 3 seasons. Posted the details on another elk/bear thread on this site somewhere...

def90

WKR
The few bear encounters I’ve had (one being this past season with the bear about 15 feet away from me) all ended with the bear running as fast as it could in the opposite direction as soon as it saw and registered that I was a human.

That said, I do carry moreso for the two legged creatures that you may run in to. There are a lot of public land squatters in Colorado and run ins between them and recreationists have been growing over the years.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I only carry spray in CO if I think moose are in the area . My pistol can drop a bear but I’m pretty sure it would just make a moose mad . Been doing that since I got charged in Jackson .
Talk about dropping some fruit in your looms

j33

WKR
Carrying a side arm while you have a rifle is overkill if you ask me, but hey if it makes you less scared go for it.

I hunt in grizzly country and only carry bearspray during archery season, but would carry a side arm too if we were allowed in Canada as insurance when gutting an animal. When it's rifle season the bear spray stays home, I don't see a reason to carry 2 guns....

SonnyDay

WKR
I generally agree that the rifle is sufficient.

Might be nice to switch to a pistol when meat-packing to save weight/have quicker access.

If you are backpacking in and camping... a pistol can be a little easier to use when you are inside your tent.

Bear spray is a lighter-weight option but can be hard to use if it's super-cold, windy, or again if you are in your tent.

All that said, I've had many grizzly/black encounters and have never had trouble chasing them off with firm language. But I have not had those encounters at a carcass...

sotxks

FNG
I carry my G27 whether I’m hunting south TX or CO. Just gives me piece of mind.

Lytro

WKR
I typically carry during archery, but what's the point if you're carrying a rifle that you're (hopefully) a lot more proficient with? I would keep the sidearm at your camp or vehicle and switch over to it for pack outs if you kill.

We made our first ever trip elk hunting in Colorado archery season this year. We packed in the first few days into a wilderness area and had our side arms. The last 5 days and a few other mountains of the trip the side arms never left the truck. IMO not worth the extra weight. Next year will be leaving them at home.

I carry both. I practice drawing and firing both. I doubt I'll ever need to do this in real life but I carry both everyday anyway...for two legged predators. Like mom said, "...better to have it and not need it..."

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
I know 3 things about bears, they are unpredictable, they are unpredictable and they are unpredictable. You never know what one is going to do until it does it. When in CO I carry a sidearm for my own piece of mind. Much handier in a tent and around camp than a rifle.

Ono

FNG
Neither, only need brass knuckles in CO. Several close bear encounters in CO, one on a hanging hind quarter, one drive by on the tent at 5ft in the middle of the night. Numerous others elsewhere. Including mom with cubs at 30yrds. I've never understood packing a hand cannon or spray in black bear country. Its a black bear. You'd get more utility out of a 22 for grouse.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk