CO Compliant Loads

WKR
Well, so much for the best laid plans. After 25 years of waiting....I did not draw the unit 61 muzzy elk tag. Pretty gut punched right now.
Looks like only 2 0f 6 with 26 points drew this year. 2021 was 5 for 7 on 25 points. Hope 2023 is your year. As has been mentioned, some of the solid lead conicals like No Excuses are a great idea.

Interesting. Those FPBs seem to be available in Canada only.

I love the bullet too and bought a bunch at half price when they stopped pricing them.

Del Gue

FNG
Interesting. Those FPBs seem to be available in Canada only.

I love the bullet too and bought a bunch at half price when they stopped pricing them.
I bought a bunch of the 350's from Muzzleloader.com several years back when they were on clearance. I had planned on using them on my 2023 Colorado elk hunt. The 460 gr Bullshop grouped much better out of my sidelocks so I never ended up using the FPB's.

Hoping to draw my unit 61 muzzy elk tag this year. I just retired from the wine grape business that would never allow me to be gone in September.

I have two options:
TC Express .50 sidelock.
TC Impact SB .50 inline.

Just bought the Impact from a buddy and am intrigued by the inline 209 ignition. I've been looking at some of the Powerbelt aero tips and am excited to try those in both rifles.
Guessing I can't use triple 7 or Black horn powder?

Any guidance will be appreciated.
As others have stated read the CO muzzy regs first. Here's my elk setup for both of my CVA muzzies (Accura V2, Accura MR-X):

-Williams WPS. Peep sight/front globe w. ballistic reticle insert.
- Thor Lightning (Universal) 300 gr bullet. Copper full bore, no sabot.
-BH 209 (77 grs. by weight). In the past I've also used Triple 7 with good results on deer.
-Federal 209A primers. There's a few other magnum primers that may work for you.

It'll take a while for you to develope a load that'll shoot well in your TC. Off-season is the best time to dial your setup and learn your limitations without a scope. I practice alot during the summer and under ideal hunting situations limit my shot distances at elk to 75-125 yds.

Last edited: