CO G12 September

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
My brother was lucky enough to draw this OIL tag this year, and decided he was doing it DIY so I’m going along to help. We are getting ready to take our first scouting trip(s) in the next week or two. We have elk hunted west maroon pass area one time several years ago in archery season but other than that we have no experience in this area.
We have options as to how we choose to attack this big unit and I am seeking any help as to recommendations based on the specific tactics. So if willing please give me any pros/cons of each method IF you have experience in this unit. All 3 will be using lightweight backpack style camping gear. I’ve looked at most THs around Gothic on the west and Aspen on the east side, through my internet scouting.

#1. We can ride four wheelers and motorcycles up rough 4x4 trails with backpacking gear to help with a lot of elevation gain. Main concern here is leaving the bike and four wheeler on the trail for a day or three while we hunt. Is this legal to leave them there? Of course we can pull keys and lock them but I realize theft or vandalism could also be an issue.
#2. I have a horse and two mules that I usually take elk hunting every archery season and we could access with them and set up a more comfy camp. Cons to this are taking care of the animals with feed and water that we would have to have nearby. Any one with experience with how much feed and water is available up near goat country have recommendations here? I don’t mind taking the animals but they require a lot of time and pre hunt preparation to take care of them. Also curious as to how far up certain roads we could get the trailer safely and also be able to turn it around? I’m assuming there is a lot of water this year, I hear there is still lots of snow up high.
#3. Park the pickup and put on the lightest pack we can survive with and start hiking. Obvious con is having to gain all the elevation and carry camp every step. Pros are that it makes life simple with no machines or animals to deal with. We are going to show up in good enough to shape to pull this off but it limits how far we can hike in…not going to go 10 miles deep on foot as easily as with pack animals or machines.

I understand there are some THs that you have to have a reservation for?? Can anyone tell me which ones these are so I can eliminate them from my scouting.? Obviously prefer the less crowded THs

So if you know the area and want to share any advice we would greatly appreciate it. PMs welcome as I know there are over 30 tags for this hunt out there. Also feel free to call or text.
Thanks
Clayton
785-821-0165

I can't help with the unit, but I'd have no problem with ATV or motor bike way up, pull off, mark with GPS and go! Slap a trail camera up if you're worried. Not sure that would do anything, but I wouldn't have an issue.

OP
Wapiti66

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Coveyleader. This is looking like a good option for some parts of the unit, with lots of trails going above timberline and into goat country. If possible it would be nice to stay away from the popular areas, especially the ones that require permits to camp.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just a few consideration on the plans. I spent a pretty good amount of time goat hunting in there. We rode RZRs around a lot and ended up taking horses in for the hunt.

#1. You shouldn't have an issue with it but most of the unit where the goats are is Wilderness. I would probably just stay away from even bringing them with and plan on horses or hiking.
#2. If you take horses into there you will have to have certified weed free hay. There is water and grass everywhere though! We just brought hobbles for the nighttime and let them roam around and they were fine. During the day we tied them up close enough to the water and didn't have any issues.
#3. The trails (more like highways) around those mountains are not as bad as they look on paper. If you guys are in good shape and used to the altitude then this would be my preferred way to go. Plus its a lot easier to pack up and head over a ridge when you don't have the horses.

Plan on doing a lot of glassing and getting some awesome looks from the fine people visiting Aspen. When you are packing them out I would try and conceal the cape and head in a pack unless you love a good pissin match! If you take horses watch out for dogs on the trail since most of them have never seen a horse and they will bark at you. Have fun!

Just a few consideration on the plans. I spent a pretty good amount of time goat hunting in there. We rode RZRs around a lot and ended up taking horses in for the hunt.

#1. You shouldn't have an issue with it but most of the unit where the goats are is Wilderness. I would probably just stay away from even bringing them with and plan on horses or hiking.
#2. If you take horses into there you will have to have certified weed free hay. There is water and grass everywhere though! We just brought hobbles for the nighttime and let them roam around and they were fine. During the day we tied them up close enough to the water and didn't have any issues.
#3. The trails (more like highways) around those mountains are not as bad as they look on paper. If you guys are in good shape and used to the altitude then this would be my preferred way to go. Plus its a lot easier to pack up and head over a ridge when you don't have the horses.

Plan on doing a lot of glassing and getting some awesome looks from the fine people visiting Aspen. When you are packing them out I would try and conceal the cape and head in a pack unless you love a good pissin match! If you take horses watch out for dogs on the trail since most of them have never seen a horse and they will bark at you. Have fun!

Side note on dogs…. All
Dogs are required to be on a leash when in the wilderness, 10% of people follow this, and if you have horses I just tell people this horse doesn’t like dogs and will stomp them if they get to close…. But watch out for people suddenly running at their barking dog to grab them cause they think they are gonna get stomped. I just tel people I recently seen a USFS Ranger that was fighting the $150 ticket to anyone who’s dog was off leash.

Agree to concealing ur kill, have also seen people try to scare goats off when seen a hunter stalking them (which is highly illegal) but it happens

Horse yes must be on weed free hay or pellets, I find pellets easier to pack, but it also sucks. There is forage just make sure wherever you leave ur animals keep them away from trails when ur not around, cause people are stupid and if they see them will go walk up to pet them and get selfies.

Some USFS trails have not been maintained in years, I’ve seen “dumbass” horse people take horses into some down right stupid places but they are ur horses and ur money so do what you want.

Please make sure you tie ur horse properly, and it won’t get loose, I will give you a ton of shit if I get the call to come assist finding ur horse, also make sure they can’t get wrapped up or hung up, 3 yrs ago I had to ride in with the USFS cause someones mule got wrapped up in a tree and lead rope and died. They left the mule took the halter and lead rope and they went and found the brand and tracked down the owner to fine them for leaving a dead mule on the wilderness. It wasn’t pretty and that mule suffered a very horrible death…. If you do have an accident report it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
Plan on doing a lot of glassing and getting some awesome looks from the fine people visiting Aspen. When you are packing them out I would try and conceal the cape and head in a pack unless you love a good pissin match!

We did a ram hunt in thirteen last year and the hikers loved it. Everyone of them was positive and most had a lot of genuine and curious questions.

More than a handful took their picture with the ram's head on the bank of a famous hot spring Weekend at Bernie's style. I can't think of a single person we ran across that wasn't friendly at a minimum.

Reactions: XLR
OP
Wapiti66

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input guys. It’s seems like most the goats are in the places where most the people from Aspen like to hike, so this creates its own challenges for sure. I hunt an OTC elk unit that has a lot of hiker and hunter traffic and this can create a nice rodeo with animals if all the wrong stars align. I was hoping that there were goats to be had away from the hiking crowd but sounds like the wilderness is where the goats hang. I plan to get up there for a scouting/family vacation within the week to scout access and trailheads. Thanks for the help

Reactions: XLR

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks for the input guys. It’s seems like most the goats are in the places where most the people from Aspen like to hike, so this creates its own challenges for sure. I hunt an OTC elk unit that has a lot of hiker and hunter traffic and this can create a nice rodeo with animals if all the wrong stars align. I was hoping that there were goats to be had away from the hiking crowd but sounds like the wilderness is where the goats hang. I plan to get up there for a scouting/family vacation within the week to scout access and trailheads. Thanks for the help

If I had that tag, I'd go on the CB side.

DavidReed

FNG
I hunted G12 last season and took a big mature billy. I'll try to get a PM exchanged with you to discuss dope on the unit.

OP
Wapiti66

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
F3C490F7-D378-442E-98C9-0D45A4E83B8B.jpeg
Thanks to all of those that shared info for this hunt. He got a nanny on the second day of season. Out of 5 groups of goats these were the only ones accessible to shoot and recover. It was a fun but very challenging hunt. The terrain these animals choose to call home is extreme for sure.

Yes Pyramid Pk

Yep screw that place hahahah we pulled a small
Billy out of there Friday. Right at the saddle, always fun the commentary from hikers thinking it’s “illegal” or unethical to hunt off a public trail lol

Last edited:
OP
Wapiti66

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
Yep screw that place hahahah we pulled a small
Billy out of there Friday. Right at the saddle, always fun the commentary from hikers thinking it’s “illegal” or unethical to hunt off a public trail lol

I’m in no big hurry to climb that mountain again, steep and rocky for sure. We were fortunate that the people we saw were hunters themselves or cool with it. One guy was a human mountain goat himself….acted concerned for our safety. Were you guiding in there? A guy maybe in his 60s and his boy that shot a bear earlier? Just curious we saw them at the check in for their bear