Consumer Direct VS Pro Shop Knowledge

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
I worked as a bow tech for a couple years and still do stuff for friends an family on the side but I think it is so hard as a pro shop to cater to the average joe who shoots generic, super popular equipment as well as the guy like most of us who shoot high end niche stuff. When I worked at the shop we stocked a couple of lower end spot hoggs and one carter release but ordered everything else besides super popular stuff online for people anyway. Why wouldn't you want it to just come to your door instead of having to come back in and pick it up? Archery is a little different when you dont have a press or the know how to work on your bow. But for stores that carry backpacking stuff, you just can't reproduce the selection the internet has for all the super specific pieces of gear we all buy. I will say it was incredibly satisfying when someone would come in and genuinely value your advice on gear and then come back in after using it and thanking you.

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
My experience with local archery shops has been non stop disgust until I learned to do all the work myself. Almost never had a bow properly tuned from a pro shop. Even sold me underspined arrows for my brand new bow. They wanted everyone to shoot the same arrows they used for 3d. I didn't want to shoot 380 grain arrows anymore and they would mock me for asking for heavier. I grew tired of over priced under serviced. If I had a local shop I trusted that provided decent service I would support them, but I do not. Was always pushed to make a sale and kick me out the door.

16Bore

WKR
Look at the prominence of Internet forums like this one. It's where everyone "starts" anyway. Margins are thin and rents are up. Bows gamble on latest and greatest technology the way I see it. Firearms have very little, if any, obsolescence. Glass makes progress, but it seems of late that the drive is for 10 cent cigars.

The shooting range I belong to has over 500 members....you might see 20 guys over the course of a weekend.

The days of barborshop style congregating at the gun shop are pretty much gone. Some old grumpy guys arguing about 30-06's vs 270's and the ones that got away.

Everyone just does it on the shitter now....

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been shooting and working on my own stuff for over 30 years. When I buy a new bow I prefer to support our local pro shop we are lucky in Sioux Falls to have Archers Addiction with indoor 3D. The owner is great and so are the employees. I have lived Other places where the only choice was to order and never get the chance to shoot multiple bows side by side.

dwils233

FNG
If you lose a sale to a website due to price that is 100% your choice. Selling something at cost is better than watching a money in hand customer walk out the door to any competitor.

Old saying: sales is for vanity, profit is for sanity. I've got to say from a simple business standpoint what you're pitching isn't true. If you sell something at cost, you are actually in the hole due to whatever your associated overhead costs are- payroll, insurance, inventory turns, etc (except maybe really really dead inventory). The fundamental problem with this whole equation is that a small business thinks they need to compete with Amazon by acting like amazon- when in truth no one will ever "out Amazon" that company. They have so much purchase parity and can operate on such small margins that a business has to move the conversation away from just price. You need to present value-add options to remain relevant in the new world of retail. Whether that's offering services, education or whatever else- getting down in the mud with online competition focused on a race to bottom is a really bad game to play. The right customer service, marketing and value add propositions can make people happily pay more for the same product you can get elsewhere. It happens everyday. you might not dominate the market but you can carve a niche that is hard to dent.

Beendare

WKR
My experience with local archery shops has been non stop disgust until I learned to do all the work myself. Almost never had a bow properly tuned from a pro shop. Even sold me underspined arrows for my brand new bow. They wanted everyone to shoot the same arrows they used for 3d. I didn't want to shoot 380 grain arrows anymore and they would mock me for asking for heavier. I grew tired of over priced under serviced. If I had a local shop I trusted that provided decent service I would support them, but I do not. Was always pushed to make a sale and kick me out the door.

a perfect example ^ of inexperience and poor service. No business survives that.

I own a thriving business that provides excellent service...but more importantly... best in class advice. I am adamant about training, training, training our guys. Its critical that our work is better than everyone else. All of our clientele is by word of mouth. I'm not the only guy doing this I assure you.

These same principles apply to an Archery Shop...or almost any business really. Once you get to that point...you aren't competing on price alone. Not everyone, but most folks realize the advantage of getting quality advice and they will pay extra for that.

Trial153

WKR
Everyone factors in the proshops time it takes for service and right so. Not sure why an individuals time isnt a consideration as well.
My time is worth way more the what any proshop changes, in fact I been at a point in life for quite a while where I find myself having much more money then time. So in that case having a home proshop, and all the tools associated with it is cheap compared to what my time output would be going to proshop for all needs.
Furthermore I am way more of perfectionist when it come to my working on my equipment then it would be practical in a retail setting.

Consumer direct either from manufacturers or retailers is profitable for both them and me.

sndmn11

WKR
Old saying: sales is for vanity, profit is for sanity. I've got to say from a simple business standpoint what you're pitching isn't true. If you sell something at cost, you are actually in the hole due to whatever your associated overhead costs are- payroll, insurance, inventory turns, etc (except maybe really really dead inventory).

I said at cost....that includes everything you just listed.....otherwise it wouldn't be at cost.

slowelk

WKR
I said at cost....that includes everything you just listed.....otherwise it wouldn't be at cost.

"At cost" in business terms, is related to Cost of Good Sold, which is the cost to acquire/provide goods/services that you sell, not overhead. Don't need to get into an accounting discussion on Rokslide though.

As for what keeps me at a pro-shop vs buying on-line - I'm not as handy as I think I am, and I don't want to buy all the tools to do the job. I do, like others, appreciate good customer service and knowledgeable shop employees that aren't pushy. I'm a customer of yours at Straight Six, and I think you guys have come a long way since opening, and you've consistently found the right help to provide high quality services. Additionally, you've done a good job keeping up with ever-changing demands by stocking high quality products, and cutting non-performing, or "out" products. Another pro-shop perk is the ability to try out different things - last year you let me build up one arrow to test before I bought a dozen - can't do that online.

The main points have already been made - customer service is king, whether that's from turnaround times on services, to knowledgeable/capable staff; you'll never win the race to the bottom with online retailers, so you need to offer A+ customer service, hire good help, and indulge customer curiosity/experimentation.

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
Pro Shops are not going away, but the market is changing due to consumer knowledge and online availability. There needs to be a compelling reason for a consumer to walk into a shop and pay full tilt retail. If a consumer feels they have more knowledge of a product; Clothing, packs, boots, calls, broadheads, bows, arrows, ect. than the shop they are visiting, they will buy elsewhere.

Ever walk into an Apple store? Packed!!! Why? Their model places more importance on the customer experience and less on the product. Pro Shops need to think this way to survive. Give your customers an experience they cannot get online and you will grow your business. Just sling commoditized products that can be purchased anywhere and you will ultimately lose customers.