Cot or pad?

mwolters

FNG
I've done some reading on lightweight cots and am curious on the opinions of any users out there. I'm looking for a sleep option for backpacking long weekends. Comfort is a priority over weight. In the past on easy trips like this I've used a light thermarest and closed cell pad together. I'm looking at an xtherm/ xtherm max, or helinox cot lite/ thermarest luxury lite UL. Thoughts on either of these, from strictly a comfort point of view? Are there any pad options that I should consider instead? I've considered some of the thermarest options that are geared more towards car camping, but size counts them out.

It seems like all of the reviews I can find are from someone in my position, who went from their 15-20yr old thermarest to a cot, vs comparing the cot directly to one of the new generation premium pads.

I have an Xtherm pad and a luxury lite cot. My pad got hole in it so I started to use the cot. That was two years ago. I won't go back to a pad. I have almost 100 nights on my cot this summer so far and have enjoyed every night.

I do have a thermarest foam pad for use during the winter, but I haven't tried it out in very cold temps yet.

I don't think the weight difference is noticeable and it takes me just as long to put the cot together as it does to blow up that Xtherm.

OP
M

mwolters

FNG
Perfect! That's exactly the kind of response I was looking for. Next question. If you were going to do a 7-12 day, fall weather, in a rugged area (think Montana unlimited), would you go back to the Xtherm?

My question for justinspicher, is do you use something on top of the cot to provide insulation? The problem I see with the cot is that it doesn't provide a layer of insulation between you and the elements, so you potentially have to carry a pad of some sort to lay between your sleeping bag and cot to protect against the cold, thus increasing the weight of your sleep system.

I did use my Xtherm as a barrier during a winter camping trip. I didn't blow it up because it's just go flat. It worked just fine. It stows much easier and smaller than a foam mat.

I also take a stove for my shelter during winter months.

LBFowler

WKR
I view cots as a complete waste as they don't provide insulation. There are so many options for large comfy mats that provide boatloads of insulation for less weight then cots.

OP
M

mwolters

FNG
Given the nature of this forum, I understand that insulation is typically a key factor in the geography, altitude and general climate of where most people are laying down to sleep. That's why I was specific in stating comfort above all else. To add a little more data to my mission, I live in Michigan. No altitude and hot, humid summer and fall. Part of what makes me interested in a cot is the fact that it sleeps cool, and a barrier can be added for warmer sleeping if need be. Truthfully, Justin's response has me in a mindset where I will buy both a new pad and a cot to cover different situations, but I'm still doing my due diligence by looking for people that have experience with both options. If someone were to give an emphatic opinion one way or another, it may sway my direction.

I don't think you can go wrong with both a pad and a cot. Like you said, your situation will dictate. You can also add layers when you sleep if needed. I've used this cot in Montana during the early archery season and this entire summer here in Colorado. I've also used it a handful of times winter camping here in Colorado with and without a pad. Personal preference, just like anything else.

dotman

WKR
I have a Helinox Cot Lite, so comfortable! They make an insulation under quilt with 650 duck down fill for it but I don't have it. I have an Exped sl7 as well. I've cut my gear weight down enough that a luxury like a cot isn't pushing me into crazy pack weights, it's going on every trip. I highly recommend the Helinox. Takes about a min to set it up and has very few parts.

kodiakfly

WKR
I use one or the other, depending. Backpacking, I use an XTherm and it's plenty for my fat ass as far as comfort. I love it all through the winter. But if I'm rafting or flying in and I have weight, I pack a cot and put a ThermARest LuxuryMap on top of it and sleep like a dang baby...I have to set an alarm to wake up on time.