Coyote Bolt rifle

Which roung

• Total voters
If you were getting a new rifle for coyote/ bobcat. bolt action. Would round would you go with? pelt saving in mind.

amassi

WKR
Boring old 223 Remington if most shots over 100
If most are close 22 magnum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 6mms and 87 grain Vmax are bad medicine for yotes! The 22-250 and a 53-55vmax is also a solid choice. I’m partial to the 6mms because I don’t save the pelts either so I’d say the 22-250

amassi

WKR
Think the OP is specifically asking to save pelts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have 223 bolt gun. I like it a lot, never get rid of type. If I were to buy new it’d be 22-250 knock down and flat.

mcseal2

WKR
I voted 22-250. I have used 243, 22-250, and 223 a lot. I find that I have less coyotes drop instantly with the 223 than the others, especially past 250 yards. I'm not saying it won't kill them, or that it doesn't drop a lot of them with perfect shot placement, just that I get more runners or spinners than I do with the faster bullets from the others. I think that the 223 is enough slower especially at distance and from a shorter barrel, that it relies less on shock to kill and more on damage and blood loss. This just takes a little longer.

If I have a chance to get multiple coyotes off one stand that matters. I can switch to a different target faster if the first one drops instantly.

Another reason for me to pick a more powerful round in a bolt gun is that after the first shot I'm probably shooting at moving coyotes. A coyote running away at a quartering angle is more likely to get broken down by the faster and/or larger bullet.

6 Creed would be a great killer, but probably not fur friendly with most loads. Anything over 75 grains I tried in my 243 exited more often than not. Another consideration on the 6mm's is that they can flat wreck a bobcat or fox if that is a possibility. I won't take the shot again if I have my 243 with 75gr V max bullets and one responds. I try to take my 204 or 223 if I think I might see a cat.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
I picked the 6mm and would handload a copper solid which typically punches a hole in and out.
The reason for me is in Texas it's not uncommon to get into hogs when varmint hunting and I like the additional punch from a 6. Plus it will do a little better in the wind if shooting long range.

My experience is somewhat limited but many times a 50-55 grainer in 22 can and will leave a nasty exit hole.

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I picked the 6mm and would handload a copper solid which typically punches a hole in and out.
The reason for me is in Texas it's not uncommon to get into hogs when varmint hunting and I like the additional punch from a 6. Plus it will do a little better in the wind if shooting long range.

My experience is somewhat limited but many times a 50-55 grainer in 22 can and will leave a nasty exit hole.
Thats dependent on the bullet. I tend to avoid vmax's for that reason. They have a thin jacket, and they will tear a coyote up if you hit bone with them. And they are even worse the faster you run them.

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
.223 is hard to beat for me. In the Midwest most shots are under 200yds…many much closer. I’ve tried a bunch of different bullets, but current favorite is the Speer Gold Dots 62gr or 75gr. Usually not a lot of pelt damage, but it will make an exit hole.

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a 6mm ARC in a how’s mini action for 500 bucks. With a 3x9 on top that I’ll probably sell for 75 bucks

epoletna

FNG
I've owned three different .22-250s, and haven't been able to get any of them to shoot. I'm using a .223 now and happy with the accuracy.

TheGDog

WKR
Does the habitat where you are located not allow you to call them in close?

Lately in this Juniper forest spot I've been calling them in at... I've just been using HEVI-BISMUTH #2 WaterFowl loads. And they go right down, and you don't even see the little holes in the hide when looking from the fur side. (This particular location is shotgun only.)

Before buying a new rifle, if you have a .223 Rem (and who doesn't) definitely try the Hornady 35gr NTX loads in that. They also make them for .223 Rem. Box says 4000fps. Made a nice blood trail on that particular yote.