Coyote Hunt Hopes - Northern CA

I am hoping someone may be kind enough to share some wisdom and insight on calling coyotes in Northern California - driving from Bay Area - without giving up information that would take away earning it…if that makes sense. I understand NF and BLM are the spots I can legally hunt them with exceptions in certain locations. My method thus far has been drive on roads and hwys that run through large pieces of BLM and NF and run a call or just scan the country looking for coyotes and then once spotted or heard I come back to that general area during shooting hours and run a stand. This is where it all falls apart. Never even seen one once I am on foot.

Sadly I purchased my rifles a few years back with the intent on hunting coyotes and starting LRPS, neither of which has materialized. Good things have come out of the decision to buy s rifle but that’s for another discussion.

Would appreciate any guidance or simply tell me to kick rocks. Thanks

digger

Lil-Rokslider
Get an electronic call with a siren sound. Every dog in the area will howl back at a siren.
At least then you have a starting point.

OP
B
How come a siren? Sometimes I worry that the public land coyotes may be on is near residential or private land. Is this a concern ever for anyone?

digger

Lil-Rokslider
They will all howl at the siren. Fire truck ever go through your neighborhood?
Every dog in town will howl or bark,,,same thing.
Im old, I know things

OP
B
Totally heard a pack in the middle of a golf course last night when an ambulance drove by and then I thought about your message. I’ve always looked at wild coyotes or coyotes that are in non-residential/urban areas as a different animal than coyotes that live amongst people.

Thank you. I am going to go try it one of these nights during the next few days

Beendare

WKR
Hunt early and late

Use different E call combos but the basics work.

make sure you have good visuals....in the thicker stuff they might be there but you cannot see them.

On the private ranches I hunt, they will see or hear your vehicle coming from a mile away. Keep in mind all of these ranchers shoot at them from a Vehicle/Side by side.

OP
B
Hunt early and late

Use different E call combos but the basics work.

make sure you have good visuals....in the thicker stuff they might be there but you cannot see them.

On the private ranches I hunt, they will see or hear your vehicle coming from a mile away. Keep in mind all of these ranchers shoot at them from a Vehicle/Side by side.
Yeah I am sure I am just not seeing them and them seeing me...
Are you in the area as well?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Overcalling is the biggest mistake new coyote hunters make. Especially in Northern California. Going out into the woods and randomly hollering for coyotes is a horrible idea.

I used to own and manage about 5,000 acres in the Altamont Hills and killed coyotes on more days than I didn't kill them. Takes learning and patience. You need to know where they are, their habits, their travel routes, hunting areas, etc. Takes years to learn to kill coyotes effectively. I'd recommend getting setup with somebody who has experience in the area. Northern California is the best coyote hunting in the country if you know what you are doing.

OP
B
Overcalling is the biggest mistake new coyote hunters make. Especially in Northern California. Going out into the woods and randomly hollering for coyotes is a horrible idea.

I used to own and manage about 5,000 acres in the Altamont Hills and killed coyotes on more days than I didn't kill them. Takes learning and patience. You need to know where they are, their habits, their travel routes, hunting areas, etc. Takes years to learn to kill coyotes effectively. I'd recommend getting setup with somebody who has experience in the area. Northern California is the best coyote hunting in the country if you know what you are doing.
Can you please explain how its the best in the country?

I am not disagreeing with you I just don't know much and want to actually know what makes it the best

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Can you please explain how its the best in the country?

I am not disagreeing with you I just don't know much and want to actually know what makes it the best
No limit, no season. Year round near perfect weather for opportunities. According to recent local DNR/CFG studies, they've surpassed Texas closing in on a population of 1,000,000 dogs (more than any other state). Only 3 other states even crack a population of over 100,000 btw.

Talk to local ranchers who actually have to deal with them daily, the opportunities for hunting are boundless.

OP
B
Okay I hear you. Yes they are everywhere its terrible - I have a distaste for them as a dog owner dealing with them daily...city does nothing about it. Thought it would be fun to try and take a few out at couple hundred yards so I've now purchased 2 rifles and seen 0 yotes lol.

WKR

WKR
Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can hunt them at night here as well

mobertok

FNG
How far north do you want to go? I need to get out and do some practice on those critters.