Cracking Boot Rand

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
Have a pair of Miendl Vakuum Hunter boots about 1 1/2 year old. They’ve lived a pretty mild life - one 7 day hunt in MT and some eastern white tail. Never used heat to dry. Never been by the fire. Stored them in garage some during hunting season and outdoors a few times to prevent odors… by the letter of Miendl’s law, this is not recommended storage but hardly harsh.

Great boots. Really no complaints and would recommend them.

My situation: the rand on the boots is cracking - see image below.

Has anyone else had this issue, other boot brands included? Any recommended repairs and/or remedy to prevent further cracking? Should I be concerned that this will impact waterproof?

Attachments

• IMG_2978.jpeg
    IMG_2978.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 43

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
I would shoot them an email. Seems very odd. I’d be curious if there was a bad batch of rubber. My meindls are two years old and I try to give them a workout monthly and the Rand on them isn’t showing any wear like that.

feanor

WKR
I’ve seen that on lesser quality boots like some asolo fugitives etc. I just chalked it up to uv damage or thin rubber. But for those as mentioned, try contacting them first. Second- shoe glue.

OP
wirehead

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen that on lesser quality boots like some asolo fugitives etc. I just chalked it up to uv damage or thin rubber. But for those as mentioned, try contacting them first. Second- shoe glue.
Will it affect performance?

feanor

WKR
It could if you’re slogging around in really wet conditions. With that boot, I would want it fixed for sure. Whatever method is used.

If I had a summer boot or light hiker, it wouldn’t bother me as much since I’m not depending on it to be waterproof or used in snow etc.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What did you condition the leather with? It's the number 1 question they will ask.

If they won't warranty then I look at applying free sole over the cracks.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It could if you’re slogging around in really wet conditions. With that boot, I would want it fixed for sure. Whatever method is used.

If I had a summer boot or light hiker, it wouldn’t bother me as much since I’m not depending on it to be waterproof or used in snow etc.
The rand is just added protection for the leather and shouldn't affect the water proofing of the bootie liner which is attached to the inner leather

OP
wirehead

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
The rand is just added protection for the leather and shouldn't affect the water proofing of the bootie liner which is attached to the inner leather

That’s what i was thinking / hoping. I believe they have a GoreTex liner.

OP
wirehead

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
What did you condition the leather with? It's the number 1 question they will ask.

If they won't warranty then I look at applying free sole over the cracks.

Miendl’s brand leather conditioner and DWR spray per their recommendations

BBob

WKR
Tape it off and coat it with Aquaseal Shoe Repair. Thin with toluene if you want.
Lowa’s are known to crack like that. Here’s a Camino that’s been coated.
IMG_2561.jpeg