Criteria for Unit Picking

SteveTX

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I've got paralysis by analysis again. I geek out a bit and have made my own Excel sheets for looking at all the deer data in different ways trying to figure out where I want to go. Now my head just spins and I have no idea. Trying to decide before the deadline coming soon.

Talking CO archery deer specifically. Going in with 2 pts this year.

Any thoughts on what criteria y'all like to use? I've been focusing on population trends, B/D ratios, hunter numbers, OTC crowds and more..... Thinking about breaking out the dart board next.

Thanks guys.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I picked the unit I hunt based on being able to get a tag every year. The better you know a unit the more success you have. Being in an excellent unit doesn't matter if you don't know where the deer are.

Familiarity helps. Ability to scout and hunt more- Generally means closer to where you live the better.

Other factors are if you have access to private or plan to use a guide?

This is easy for me, I live within a 30 minute drive of where I can hunt on public land for mule deer. I still have to draw a tag, but I can check on deer and habits all year. Same with elk.

The factors you listed are pretty low on my list of priorities.

I’d start with a unit that you can draw and doesn’t have a notably terrible success rate or some other glaring issue.

Then start E scouting it to see how you might want to hunt it (ie low country spot and stalk terrain, high country basins, whatever you like). Make sure it fits your style and be honest with yourself.

I’ll then try to gather some intel from friends/family/hunt consultants to see if I am on the right track for my expectations of that unit/hunt.

Next is summer scouting trip-mandatory IMO for a new unit 👍🏻

OP
S

SteveTX

Lil-Rokslider
On the topic of E-scouting, I'm looking at areas in the 10,500 - 12,000' range right now and trying to find willow areas. Am I on the right track?

Rich M

WKR
Go with the unit that gives you the most of what you want.

Grade them 1 to whatever and see if No. 1 makes you comfy. and do that til you stop thinking there is something better.

I once tried to grade out a pile of deer units in Idaho based on

1)acres/hunter-since just total hunters doesn’t always tell the story

2)hunter days/buck harvested-I wanted to have the best shot at success in the time I was able to allot

3)4 point%-trophy potential, enough said

One unit kept popping up at the top of my list and I still wrote it off as a junk unit due to having been there and seeing the terrain/wildlife habitat.

Finally a couple of years ago I gave it a shot.

Now I’ve hunted that unit a total of 11 days over the course of 3 seasons and taken 3 bucks including my biggest to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

SteveTX

Lil-Rokslider
I once tried to grade out a pile of deer units in Idaho based on

1)acres/hunter-since just total hunters doesn’t always tell the story

2)hunter days/buck harvested-I wanted to have the best shot at success in the time I was able to allot

3)4 point%-trophy potential, enough said

One unit kept popping up at the top of my list and I still wrote it off as a junk unit due to having been there and seeing the terrain/wildlife habitat.

Finally a couple of years ago I gave it a shot.

Now I’ve hunted that unit a total of 11 days over the course of 3 seasons and taken 3 bucks including my biggest to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Andrew

Pick a unit west of I-25 and go hunt. Stop analyzing. You cannot kill one from the couch. Every unit has deer. Every unit has "trophy" deer. Some units have more "trophy" deer than others. Some units you have to grind more than others to turn up said "trophy". But if the unit is west of I-25 then it has deer over 170". Go find one. Get it done.

ALL UNITS HAVE PRESSURE! Whether it be from hunters or other recreationalists. Colorado Archery season opens on labor day this year so everyone and their dogs will be in the woods. It doesn't slow down from there as the Leafers will then start showing up. Most of the pressure is from non-hunters. Trust me when I say you cannot out-hike them.

@SteveTX
Questions for you these are not to knock you I am trying to base your experience and provide to your needs:
1. How many Muleys have you killed?
2. What caliber of animal are you after?
3. Have you hunted 10.5-12k elevation before?
4. How many days will you be hunting?