Daypack: Kuiu Venture divide 3000 vs Sitka Mountain 2700

johnnyred

FNG
Classified Approved
I'm heading on my first elk hunt and need a larger daypack. I'll have horses to pack out so I don't need a meat hauler.

I will have a tripod and spotting scope along with rain gear, down outer layers, and other supporting gear.

I really like the Kifaru Shape Charge but think it's just a little too small for what I need. I looked at the stone glacier avail but don't really see a good way to attach my tripod.

So I'm looking at the Kuiu Divide 3000 - the divide pocket seems cool for my tripod/spotter but I'll have a guide so it's possible I won't be spotting too much myself.

I also really like the Sitka Mountain 2700. Especially given it looks easier to access the main compartment and has the dedicated spotting scope compartment.

Any recommendations between those or other packs I may not know about?

Last edited:

EdP

WKR
I love my Kuiu Venture 2300. No way would I bother with a tripod and spotter. Let the guide do that. Bring good binos and let the guide put the spotter on anything you turn up. You might want the tripod to shoot off of but even the lighter ones are heavy to tote around all day. I've done it and won't do it again.

Are you going to be riding out of camp every day? If so, you don't want much of a pack on while riding and the horses should have saddlebags for your gear. I'd talk with the outfitter about that.

OP
J

johnnyred

FNG
Classified Approved
I wish they still made the 2300. It's probably about perfect. The divide pocket on the new series seems like it'll make digging though the pack annoying.

We'll be riding out of camp but won't be on horses all day, we'll often be hiking so I don't want to risk leaving something on the horse I might need.

I agree, I probably won't use my spotter much, if at all. But since I own it I might as well bring it just in case I want to use it. It'll probably get left at camp after the 1st day.

jg1418

Lil-Rokslider
The Sitka Mountain 2700 material of the pack is about the loudest I have ever heard from a pack.

It sounds like a empty foil bag of potato chips.

If it was not so god awful loud in the material, it would be one awesome pack.

The layout of the pack is great and its very comfortable.

EdP

WKR
I wish they still made the 2300. It's probably about perfect.
I agree and I am very glad I got one before they were discontinued. There is nothing about the new Divide that I find attractive.

Good luck with your search.

OP
J

johnnyred

FNG
Classified Approved
The Kuiu divide 2000 looks better than the 3000 but I'm not sure the 2k will have enough room for everything I need in the pack (I don't like to pack light).

I'm leaning towards the Sitka if I can get over how loud it is. Otherwise it may be time to search for a used Kuiu 2300.

EdP

WKR
Something to consider, if you plan to wear the pack on horseback, is that a frame will cause you and the horse problems. Wearing much of a pack at all on horseback is a bad idea, and it is much worse if the pack won't let your back flex. Again, I suggest you talk with your outfitter. On an elk hunt back in 2016 the outfitter recommended a fanny pack design for a low center of gravity, and in all cases limited worn pack weight to 15 lbs. On another hunt, the outfitter had us hang our packs from the saddle horn on the side opposite the rifle scabbard to balance the weight. I used a rucksack on that hunt and it worked very well.

I’ve used the Kuiu Divide 3000 as a day pack. Nice, durable pack with plenty of room for layers and gear. Compresses very well if you’re going lighter. The divide pocket works great as a big stuff pocket to access quick layers without opening the pack. Would work well for carrying your tripod as it’s advertised to do. I would absolutely bring a tripod to use with your binos if you’re doing any kind of glassing. Spotter is personal preference, but I’d agree letting the guide pack a spotter. Elk are big, yellow animals. Use the binos to pick them up, share the spotter to get a closer look.

Back to the bag. Because it’s a daypack design and lacks an external frame, it should work well for horseback riding. I did pack out my entire whitetail a couple miles with it this past fall, and while I wouldn’t recommend it for load carrying, I’ve packed in worse bags. Let me know if you’ve got anymore questions about the Kuiu. I’ll be using mine for turkeys, day hikes and lighter scouting trips in the future.

OP
J

johnnyred

FNG
Classified Approved
I talked to the guide, and it sounds like my pack will be strapped to the horse while riding. But then while hiking of course I'll have it on me. He recommended the eberlestock team elk, or stone glacier which are on par with the size I'm looking for, just not as big of a fan of those designs.

@OlRoyWhitetails how big is the divide pocket? Would I be able to put rain gear and rain pants in there? I'll be carrying PVC grundens so they don't stuff well. What did you keep in the back pocket? Is access to it as annoying as it looks? Those side zippers on the back pocket are really my biggest beef with the pack. If they just made it a regular horseshoe zipper I probably would already own it.

Last edited:
I’ll pull my pack out after work and get you some size references for the divide pocket.

The big main compartment has three access points. The biggest is the cinch closed top with the snow collar. Typical for bigger/backpacking bags, it makes stuffing bigger things in well. I kept my game bags and kill kit on the bottom, then stuffed puffy coat and rain jacket in the top. The side access zips on either side are nice if you pack the bag well. Packing the gear you want quick access to on the side (spotter, water filter, water bottle, vest) after you’ve packed the bulky stuff down the middle works pretty good. If you’re someone who likes to see everything by opening up a bag, don’t go this route. Because I was day hunting, I didn’t have a ton of odds and ends, so the main compartment was for bigger things I would need if I was sitting for awhile or could yard-sale my pack a little bit. Using gear pouches like dry bags, the marsupial gear bags or stone glacier swing out/camp pockets and help keep your gear easier to pullout from the main compartment.

Headlamp, merino gloves, phone went into the hip belt pockets. Snacks/lunch, first aid kit, charging kit, things I wanted to easily find or access without digging I put in the front panel pocket. It has a few zippered pockets to organize the smaller items and worked well. I use the marsupial gear pouches to organize a few of those things and keep them in the bottom of that front panel pocket.

The Kuiu divide 2000 looks better than the 3000 but I'm not sure the 2k will have enough room for everything I need in the pack (I don't like to pack light).

I'm leaning towards the Sitka if I can get over how loud it is. Otherwise it may be time to search for a used Kuiu 2300.
I used the 2000 for some scouting prior to the season. The divide pocket is awesome, not having to take the tripod/spotter apart. It has a lot of room. I have not used it extensively other than the scouting trip and a couple of TAC events but I use it as an overnight/computer bag for work too and for it's size it holds quite a bit of gear.

Also, it does have a plastic back panel so it's really stiff and provides decent support for a daypack, i.e. the waist belt does support some of the load very well.

only pic i have. you can kinda see the pack....lol

pack.jpg

OP
J

johnnyred

FNG
Classified Approved
@sodaksooner how much room is in the main compartment with your spotter in it?

In the main compartment I'll be packing:
Vortex viper 15-45 scope
Down coat and pants
Grundens Neptune rain coat and pants
Hydration bladder
Small first aid kit
Maybe a glassing pad
.... Probably more, but not sure what else.

Think all that will fit early in the main compartment?

@sodaksooner how much room is in the main compartment with your spotter in it?

In the main compartment I'll be packing:
Vortex viper 15-45 scope
Down coat and pants
Grundens Neptune rain coat and pants
Hydration bladder
Small first aid kit
Maybe a glassing pad
.... Probably more, but not sure what else.

Think all that will fit early in the main compartment?
The spotter and tripod actually fit between the main compartment and the outer one, thus the "divide" I'ts pretty big, I run a 3 liter bladder, although not always full and stuff all my layers in the main. I can't speak to your loadout but I had plenty of room. Please note that I used this setup for scouting and not hunting. I initially bought the pack for a laptop bag as I got it on sale. I run an Icon pro 6000 for my hunting pack so room to spare. My brother has the 3600 ci bag for that pack frame and it works well for day hunts too. If you are concerned with space look at the Venture Divide 3000. Obviously a bit bigger and unused space should pack down well.

FWIW, I have elk hunted with a straight daypack and it was fine, but prefer the stiffness of a full on frame pack as I tend to carry way too much gear (prob need to work on that!)

OP
J

johnnyred

FNG
Classified Approved
If I get the divide, I don't plan on keeping the tripod and spotter assembled. If I come up on some elk, I'd prefer to have the tripod ready for my rifle in case I need to make a quick shot. So I want to make sure there's room inside the pack for the spotter, and given others mentioned I should leave the spotting to the guides, it may stay in my pack for most of the hunt.

Back to my original quandary, I like the way the Sitka has the spotter pocket and how the pack opens but hate the material. I like the way the Kuiu has organizational pockets hate the way it opens.

Given most of the things that will be in the main compartment will be used sparingly (down and rain gear) the poor access may be ok and I'd be happy with the Kuiu....