Delorme Inreach Se

rjs34

FNG
I just bought one and it is on back order. Have used a Spot2 for the last several years and had no problems but wanted to be able to communicate 2-way. Wife and I are hiking the Ruby Crest Trail this July and part of the deal was for her to be able to check up on the kids. I was going to go with the older Inreach but like the idea of using the unit on its own without having to use a smart phone. I was planning on signing up for the 4 month play from July-October which will get me through hunting and will come out slightly more expensive than I was paying for the Spot. Anyone have one yet?

TXCO

WKR
I bought one last year and really like it. The only thing I would improve and really like is if they had waypoints you could add in.

OP
rjs34

rjs34

FNG
TXCO, are you talking about this model? From my understanding they just started shipping a month or so back. Are you talking about the older model that hooks up to your smart phone?

kickemall

WKR
Does the new one act as a stand alone GPS with the ability to load topo maps and mark waypoints, leave tracks, etc.? I wasn't real clear on that after reading their web site description. Thanks,

Dave

TXCO

WKR
I was referring to the older one that pairs with the Iphone. It looks like the SE pairs with our phone as well and that if you want to track on maps and see it yourself, you must still pair up to a smartphone. I could be wrong though. It also looks like waypoints are still not an option. You can get around it by sending messages from that location though.

Also- I went the cheap route doing the ~$10/month plan and missed the section in billing about tracking as its not all that clear on their website (no gridlines/hard to read, excuses excuses). On the cheapest plan, tracking is NOT included and costs $0.25 per track. My first bill last hunting season was far more than expected....

OP
rjs34

rjs34

FNG
I received the SE a couple days ago and just around to activating it. It was a fairly easy process. You just have to go through their website and enter the device info (not that much different than SPOT) and select a service plan. I chose the seasonal recreational plan which costs $40/month for 4 months. This will get me through October. After activating it I downloaded the Iphone app to import contacts etc and it was fairly easy. Was able to send and receive texts without any issues. So far I like it but will put it to the test when my wife and I hike the Ruby Crest Trail later this month.

Rackmastr

WKR
Interested to see a review on one of these as I plan on ordeirng one up in the next couple weeks!!

I'd like to know if they are going to have some nice cases as well for them, so a guy could put it on your waistbelt, etc of a pack for a bit more protection.

I've been a SPOT user but this will be the replacement for it.

OP
rjs34

rjs34

FNG
I have used it for a few days now just around my place with no issues. I will do a full review after my trip.

doin1

FNG
RJS
Looking forward to your review. I am probably going to buy one. I am particularly interested in navagation with Eartmate app. I wouldn't always need navagation but would be nice to replace the stand alone GPS.
If I understand correctly you can use another app like Timble Outdoors. The GPS from the Inreach SE would put your position on the Timble app.

RJS
Looking forward to your review. I am probably going to buy one. I am particularly interested in navagation with Eartmate app. I wouldn't always need navagation but would be nice to replace the stand alone GPS.
If I understand correctly you can use another app like Timble Outdoors. The GPS from the Inreach SE would put your position on the Timble app.

You don't need an Inreach to use the Trimble app. The phones built in GPS works just fine. i have been using my iphone as a backcountry gps for a few years with no trouble getting a gps signal. They do claim that the Inreach greatly increase the iPhone GPS signal.
I bought the Inreach for the 2 way communication and SOS feature.

doin1

FNG
You don't need an Inreach to use the Trimble app. The phones built in GPS works just fine. i have been using my iphone as a backcountry gps for a few years with no trouble getting a gps signal. They do claim that the Inreach greatly increase the iPhone GPS signal.
I bought the Inreach for the 2 way communication and SOS feature.

I am looking at the Delrome as a communications device. But also want it to replace a standalone GPS, without losing any functions for navigating. I have read that you can save a lot of battery on your I Pad/ I Phone by using the GPS on the Delrome SE. What my biggest concern right now is are the maps of equal quality as any paper map. Do they show creeks, trails, lakes with names?
You may have answered my question by saying you have used a app for navagation for a couple years.
I was also concerned is there a difference in detail of maps on the Eartmate App vs. Trimble outdoors maps?
Doug

I am looking at the Delrome as a communications device. But also want it to replace a standalone GPS, without losing any functions for navigating. I have read that you can save a lot of battery on your I Pad/ I Phone by using the GPS on the Delrome SE. What my biggest concern right now is are the maps of equal quality as any paper map. Do they show creeks, trails, lakes with names?
You may have answered my question by saying you have used a app for navagation for a couple years.
I was also concerned is there a difference in detail of maps on the Eartmate App vs. Trimble outdoors maps?
Doug

I like the earthmate maps Better then the Trimble. I only use the Trimble for the public land maps. The earthmate maps are much faster rendering then the Trimble too. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374349261.587960.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374349280.202371.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1374349291.502232.jpg

Remember you always need to download the maps to your smart phone before you trip. If you don't the GPS still functions but you'll just see a blue dot on a blank screen.

If you don't need the public land maps I wouldn't bother with the Trimble.

Biggest draw back to using a smartphone is you have to manage you battery carefully and/or have a way to recharge your battery's.