Depreciation of Bows

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve thought a lot lately about how quickly bows lose their value. Just today I saw a guy selling an RX5 in great condition on Facebook for $600. After just three years, he’s selling it for 1/3 of what he paid for it.

Quality guns might lose 10-15% of their value when they’re first shot, but they will hold that value for a very long time as long as they’re kept in good condition. What’s the difference?

I have a thought that it might be driven by the manufacturers coming up with new, although frequently very similar, bows every year. That causes people to think older ones aren’t as good. Guns seem to hold their value even when new models are introduced though. A Winchester Super X is now worth more than when it originally sold, even though there have been 3 models introduced since then. Gen 3 Glocks sell for not much less than they originally did.

What do you guys think the reasoning is behind why bows depreciate so quickly? Despite what their marketing departments would say I don’t think they get that much better each year so I’m having a hard time seeing why.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Unlike firearms manufacturers, bow manufacturers tote every year that they have “broken the mold” or “groundbreaking technology” implying that last years models are already outdated. While I’m not going to argue that bows haven’t made improvements over the past 5 years I think it’s hard to tell differences on a year to year basis. With that being said because a new model is made every year the year prior model will depreciate.

The simple answer is that there is not nearly as much demand for bows new or used.

Partly because there is no GIANT fear driven propaganda machine (NRA/gun lobby) telling people bows are going to be illegal

I’ve thought a lot lately about how quickly bows lose their value. Just today I saw a guy selling an RX5 in great condition on Facebook for $600. After just three years, he’s selling it for 1/3 of what he paid for it.

Quality guns might lose 10-15% of their value when they’re first shot, but they will hold that value for a very long time as long as they’re kept in good condition. What’s the difference?

I have a thought that it might be driven by the manufacturers coming up with new, although frequently very similar, bows every year. That causes people to think older ones aren’t as good. Guns seem to hold their value even when new models are introduced though. A Winchester Super X is now worth more than when it originally sold, even though there have been 3 models introduced since then. Gen 3 Glocks sell for not much less than they originally did.

What do you guys think the reasoning is behind why bows depreciate so quickly? Despite what their marketing departments would say I don’t think they get that much better each year so I’m having a hard time seeing why.
I think simple one piece traditional bows like a Bear Grizzly hold their value well, like rifles, in fact, the really old ones in great condition sell for more than original purchase price.

but the modern compounds have a lot more moving parts, and most bow hunters don’t have the tools or knowledge to do things like restring a compound bow Or replace a cam

Also, I think people who are into traditional archery really like their bows and may collect them…

whereas it seems to me, though I’m sure there are exceptions, compound bow users skew more towards hunters that just want the best tool for the job, not what is “classic” or traditional, but whatever is allegedly the latest and greatest.

OP
M

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
1. Bows are not made to last like a rifle.
2. Marketing
3. Bows are more set up for individuals than one size fits all
4. Compare a bow from 1990 and compare a rifle from 1990.
As far as being made to last, one of my friends dads shoots a bow from the late 90’s so I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Your second and third points definitely make sense. I didn’t think about the size aspect. I also think you could say the same about the way rifles have changed since the 90s too. Sure they might look similar, but there are guys who can consistently kill animals out to 1000 yards and some even beyond with todays rifles. In my opinion, there has been more improvement in how far and accurately you can shoot rifles in that time compared with bows.

There is also a a factor of whether a bow has been dry fired that second hand buyers have to factor in.
I thought if this, but don’t you think there is the potential for abuse with rifles too? For people shooting factory ammo, I don’t know of any one event that causes catastrophic damage the way a dry fire can, but I think over time neglecting a rifle can cause plenty of damage as well.
Unlike firearms manufacturers, bow manufacturers tote every year that they have “broken the mold” or “groundbreaking technology” implying that last years models are already outdated. While I’m not going to argue that bows haven’t made improvements over the past 5 years I think it’s hard to tell differences on a year to year basis. With that being said because a new model is made every year the year prior model will depreciate.
I kind of agree with this too. But the question I have then is why don’t rifle manufacturers do a similar thing? Couldn’t they make small changes in the stock geometry, barrel profile, chambering options, etc on a yearly basis and market the hell out of them? I think if they could then they would but like I noted earlier, the older models don’t seem to lose any value when they release the new ones.

OP
M

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
The simple answer is that there is not nearly as much demand for bows new or used.

Partly because there is no GIANT fear driven propaganda machine (NRA/gun lobby) telling people bows are going to be illegal
This is exactly the kind of reply I’d expect from someone who’s screen name is “Rams Dudes”

OP
M

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
I think simple one piece traditional bows like a Bear Grizzly hold their value well, like rifles, in fact, the really old ones in great condition sell for more than original purchase price.

but the modern compounds have a lot more moving parts, and most bow hunters don’t have the tools or knowledge to do things like restring a compound bow Or replace a cam

Also, I think people who are into traditional archery really like their bows and may collect them…

whereas it seems to me, though I’m sure there are exceptions, compound bow users skew more towards hunters that just want the best tool for the job, not what is “classic” or traditional, but whatever is allegedly the latest and greatest.
That’s cool. I don’t know much about trad bows but I’ll have to look into that. I’ve kicked around the idea of buying a recurve, but my lack of success with a compound has made me hesitant to make the game harder haha

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Or state or federal governments that have already banned many variations of bows or accessories for them, like many have done for guns and accessories. Legislators also don't look at bows and say "we have to ban these because they look scary". And they already know that bows won't be a major issue when they want to come and completely control "the people".

But from a functional standpoint, bows have changed quite a bit from let's say 1990, while rifles have pretty much stayed the same. I have a 7mag that I bought in 1989 that works the same as any rifle I've bought just in the last year. I still have a bow from 2006 and while it still works fine, it handles and shoots way different than my newer ones.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
Bow manufacturers don't make replacement parts like gun manufacturers do. I buy used bows 3-5 years old it seems to be the sweet spot for money savings, recent tech and parts availability. I just bought an elite Kure yesterday for 400 bucks. I'll keep it for 2-3 years then sell it for the same price as a "package" tuned with a cheap rest/sight locally only loosing a few bucks for the accessories

KenLee

WKR
"...In my opinion, there has been more improvement in how far and accurately you can shoot rifles in that time compared with bows."

Since the 90s?
Only if you are talking folks who shoot stuff at over 500 yards, which 98% of hunters do not.

Sled

WKR
Improvements in bow tech grows rapidly compared to firearms. Id guess 90% of the firearms made 30 years back are still functional. I'd suspect 10% of bows maybe functional from that time frame. You don't see many people buying bows over 3 years old so the laws of supply and demand are also at work here.

archp625

WKR
I believe it's because new models come out every year, just like golf clubs. Thats why I have never bought a flagship bow. The depreciation doesn't make sense to me. Upgraded this year from a 2008 Martin Moab to an Elite Terrain and couldn't be happier.