Dog ACL injury

OP
SandyCreek

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
Surgery was late Friday afternoon. Everything went well and she’s doing pretty good today just trying to keep her from getting too excited 👍

Attachments

• 8ADC187A-0D7A-47E9-BF1E-E3B2AC3DCAA6.jpeg
    8ADC187A-0D7A-47E9-BF1E-E3B2AC3DCAA6.jpeg
    418.3 KB · Views: 18

tony

WKR
Our Doberman might have torn the CCL, GF has him in Vermont with her. Vet up there did X-rays and then sent them to an ortho vet. Said he can see something but since she’s coming home in a few weeks to have an ortho vet here follow up.
Some pain meds and rest along with light play time is what he has her doing.
She does a lot of hiking with him and he’s always run and jumping and in turn falling off rocks, etc.

j_volt

WKR
Very interesting to see this. My 8.5 year old GSP tore his back right CCL on Saturday on the opener in SD. I went to the vet this morning and they gave me 3 options:
1. Do nothing, feed him pills to help the inflammation
2. TLPO
3. Unnamed “cheaper” surgery that would definitely retire him

I’m getting a second opinion on Thursday.

He already has a health issue that limits his hunting (frequent Exertional Rhabdomyalosis). He likely needs to retire regardless which is fine, but I worry going the less expensive route will lead to a higher rate of re-injury. From what I understand, recovery is the same on both surgeries. I am fine with retiring him, but he will continue to go hard as he still loves to play fetch, run, and chase squirrels in the backyard. My main question is will he be okay if he gets the less expensive option? Frankly, the homie and I have been through it all together. I want him to finish his life as fun and as comfortable as possible.

The whole deal just breaks my heart. I want him to have a good rest of life, regardless if he can ever hunt again.

Photos of likely his last point (he’s honoring my 2.5 year old) and his last public land limit.

57854D37-F13F-4741-870B-FEF197E9E005.jpeg0BC4ED3D-523F-440A-989A-E3FF11ABB745.jpeg

My 100# lab needed one at 9 or so years old. Tore it on day one of a SK hunt. He never did hunt again as I was sure he’d blow the other one with too much action. He got around fine for another 4 years though. I want to say it was around $5k in 2015.

9D30F195-54C9-4B50-93CD-DEBFAD2CF8A1.png8A423CA8-0B67-4EB3-9BE0-A1E498A1FDCE.png

LabMan

FNG
Had 2 different labs go through successful surgery and go on to hunt pheasant for many years. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Ten Bears

WKR
My GSP did both knees 5/6 years ago. Still hunting multiple times a week at 11 years old.

Hardest part besides the cash is keeping the dog chill during the rehab.

Couple helpful tips.

Get a surgeon that is known for the TPLO if that’s the choice for you.

Buy some rubber backed cheap rugs for hardwood flooring.

I made a ramp to get down the deck

Take the rehab serious, the dog will not want to use that repaired leg at first.

Swimming was the best thing to get my dogs legs back strong.

9F7415A0-B363-41DE-AE1C-16A1E0379206.jpegE7508E98-F689-415F-AF9D-97F6D7BB734C.jpegB76E525B-AE21-4F2B-B046-8FD47C5AA4CB.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
SandyCreek

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
My GSP did both knees 5/6 years ago. Still hunting multiple times a week at 11 years old.

Hardest part besides the cash is keeping the dog chill during the rehab.

Couple helpful tips.

Get a surgeon that is known for the TPLO if that’s the choice for you.

Buy some rubber backed cheap rugs for hardwood flooring.

I made a ramp to get down the deck

Take the rehab serious, the dog will not want to use that repaired leg at first.

Swimming was the best thing to get my dogs legs back strong.
agree so far keeping her from trying to jump has been tough. I think she’s struggling with not being able to get out and run but it’s just the deal. Our surgeon is where all the tlpo get referred to in the region. I want to do the swimming thing but it’ll be icing up soon on us

jwtx5929

FNG
Our now 11 year old lab mix had TPLO on both legs about a year apart back in 2017. She came through fine and still does 5 mile human hikes (8-10 for a lab) and just needs some CBD and doggie ibuprofen to recover. FYI it was about $3,200 per leg. I would normally balk but man I love this dog.

Austink47

WKR
Paying for it sucks but I don’t regret it. Our now 13 year old lab had both of hers done within two years when she was 4-5 years old. She is slowing down now but was still going for jogs 9 months ago. Still goes for walks every day. One thing that seems to be key is keeping their weight down. Good luck.

Tex_F15

FNG
TPLO surgery is great, but it's smart to prepare to pay for 2. Since it reconfigured the way that joint moves, our surgeon told us to expect the 2nd knee to go within the next year...and sure as sh*t, it did. But after the surgery, that knee should last a lifetime.

OP
SandyCreek

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
TPLO surgery is great, but it's smart to prepare to pay for 2. Since it reconfigured the way that joint moves, our surgeon told us to expect the 2nd knee to go within the next year...and sure as sh*t, it did. But after the surgery, that knee should last a lifetime.
Yep. They said 50/50 shot hopefully not but cross that bridge if we come to it

LostArra

WKR
Thread revival:

I'm curious if early neutering was discussed as a contributing factor in all these CCL tears.

tony

WKR
Thread revival:

I'm curious if early neutering was discussed as a contributing factor in all these CCL tears.
The ortho vet we seen said they have been studies on this and there is evidence that this is the case.

Our doberman goes in Friday for I think it is the TPLO.
Will stay overnight, they will get him up that night to walk.
2 weeks with the cone, has to stay on one floor and on a leash when hes outside.
I'm actually kind of nervous. Working on people doesn't bother. Our animals are different