Dumb question, but…

So, for a non resident Alaska hunt… I have purchased my hunting license. Like $260
I think it was. I know I also need a big game tag before I go. I understand this to be the metal locking tag that physically goes on animal after harvest. AF&G website states that this and tag record must be on with me all times in field.

1. I assume the tag record is what’s punched or notched, and that it and metal locking tag come together with purchase. Correct?

2. Should these be purchased online or in Alaska in person?

3. Looks like they are available for purchase July 1. If I can do it now and take off list of things to do in AK pre hunt, then I might. Or, if they available everywhere then I might do it last minute. Like idea of having it checked off list ahead of time. Thoughts?

mooster

WKR
So, for a non resident Alaska hunt… I have purchased my hunting license. Like $260
I think it was. I know I also need a big game tag before I go. I understand this to be the metal locking tag that physically goes on animal after harvest. AF&G website states that this and tag record must be on with me all times in field.

1. I assume the tag record is what’s punched or notched, and that it and metal locking tag come together with purchase. Correct?

2. Should these be purchased online or in Alaska in person?

3. Looks like they are available for purchase July 1. If I can do it now and take off list of things to do in AK pre hunt, then I might. Or, if they available everywhere then I might do it last minute. Like idea of having it checked off list ahead of time. Thoughts?
Getting it in advance saves you from being bound to the local office's door hours.

You already have a NR hunting license.

You must buy a general harvest moose tag (metal locking tag) which you can do online or in town.

You do not automatically get the harvest ticket with the metal tag (don't ask me why) so must locate that online and print it, or ask for it in person. You must have a separate FREE harvest ticket for each animal you (intend to) kill by species. (Example: Your moose locking tag can be used on a legal caribou in place of a moose, but you should have a caribou harvest ticket in your kit).

Although I'm a get-it-done-ahead-of-time guy, I don't buy my moose tag until I arrive. That's an $800 nonrefundable cost and if anything nixes your trip (illness, pilot/plane prob, airlines issue, etc) you lose the money period. Moose tags are available at Fred Meyer, Walmart, ADF&G, Big Ray's and probably a dozen other places.

OP
P
10-4. Felt like in the back of my mind I had heard / read a reason for doing it there. Maybe I was dreaming. So if I have license, all that’s left on that front is to order “big game tag” and that with the tag record will be mailed?

OP
P
You already have a NR hunting license.

You must buy a general harvest moose tag (metal locking tag) which you can do online or in town.

You do not automatically get the harvest ticket with the metal tag (don't ask me why) so must locate that online and print it, or ask for it in person. You must have a separate FREE harvest ticket for each animal you (intend to) kill by species. (Example: Your moose locking tag can be used on a legal caribou in place of a moose, but you should have a caribou harvest ticket in your kit).

Although I'm a get-it-done-ahead-of-time guy, I don't buy my moose tag until I arrive. That's an $800 nonrefundable cost and if anything nixes your trip (illness, pilot/plane prob, airlines issue, etc) you lose the money period. Moose tags are available at Fred Meyer, Walmart, ADF&G, Big Ray's and probably a dozen other places.
Had not read this prior to my post about Harvest ticket. Just print. Gotcha. If I’m able to just print k in Not sure what it achieves from a game mgmt perspective, but okay!

Good point on $800 down the drain in travel. But same could be said for an optic, a sat phone, cell phone, a wallet (the worst!) etc.

10-4. Felt like in the back of my mind I had heard / read a reason for doing it there. Maybe I was dreaming. So if I have license, all that’s left on that front is to order “big game tag” and that with the tag record will be mailed?
It's not a 'big game tag'....it's a moose tag specifically. If you buy online they'll mail it. You must print your moose harvest ticket from the ADF&G website. For most first-timers it's safer and easier to do it in town and be sure you have everything you need. Plenty of guys have found themselves missing something critical and can't hunt.

Good point on $800 down the drain in travel. But same could be said for an optic, a sat phone, cell phone, a wallet (the worst!) etc.
Uh, no. You get to keep or replace those things and have them for the future. If the airlines cancel you, you get a refund or voucher. If your pilot cancels for some reason, you'll get a refund or future booking. Hotels can be cancelled, etc at no cost. But your license and tag fees are gone, period.

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm only pointing out it's a risk and plenty of people have lost money the last 2 years secondary to covid, restrictions, the economy, etc.

If you're planning on spending a day in Anchorage or Fairbanks on the front end of your trip, I would just grab the tag from the office or one of the several vendors listed above while in town. Village Fish and Game offices are hit or miss. There may be 3 people that work there and they may all be out of the office because the coho are running hot and there you sit. I've had to deal with picking up a registration permit that needed to be picked up at the office in DLG several years ago. It was an all day affair that ended up taking 3 trips to the office until someone was available. Had a similar issue trying to contact another village office to have them e-mail me my musk ox tag this year. Called all day on a Wednesday and not a single person was in the office to return my call until Friday. If flying directly to the village, I would personally order it ahead of time. "Village Time" is a very real thing in rural Alaska; especially off the road system!

Some transporters are also vendors. The one I fly with just has everyone pick license and tags up from him so he can assure the hunters have everything they need. So you can check with yours as well.

Last edited:
OP
P
For most first-timers it's safer and easier to do it in town and be sure you have everything you need. Plenty of guys have found themselves missing something critical and can't hunt.
Exactly what I’m trying to avoid!

1. Locking metal moose tag, and…

2. Print the tag record.

I do have about 12 hours in anchorage with nothing to do other than sleep. Guess I could find locking tag then. Sure don’t want to try it in village… like somebody else said “could be a salmon run” or in suspects a wedding, a funeral, a party, etc and I sit for a while. Hahaha.

If the Anchorage ADF&G office is open while you're in town, that's where I would go. Those people are pros and know everything you need to be legal and ready. The clerk at a Walmart isn't necessarily going to care if you forget a harvest ticket. And be sure to get a copy of the regs. Do NOT put all your trust in what any pilot says you can or can't do while afield. Bad advice given honestly is still bad advice, and you'll pay the fine if something goes awry.

You can call fish and game and have reg book mailed to your house for some pre study too if you choose

cnelk

WKR
You’re gonna have to stop and get supplies that you can’t bring on major airlines (lighters, fuel canisters, etc) so it’s not a wasted trip to the store to buy the locking tag

You’re gonna have to stop and get supplies that you can’t bring on major airlines (lighters, fuel canisters, etc) so it’s not a wasted trip to the store to buy the locking tag
Again, I would suggest caution to anyone relying on the AC store to get supplies or tags. If leaving from the road system, it won't be a problem getting supplies/tags in the valley, Anchorage, or Fairbanks (and Kodiak). I've had the good fortune or working out of most of the remote villages in AK and we've been burned way too many times depending on the AC store to have what we need.