Ejected brass hitting parallax knob and back into action?

The older I get the more a fully functional rifle becomes more important. Feeding and extracting (which you'd think would be a No Brainer) are often not a Given.

I just snagged a lefty Tikka T3X in 300 WSM. I am planning on having it chopped and braked. I had a Bushnell 3-12 sitting in my safe and planned on this being the semi Ultimate backcountry mountain rifle. Short, Light and Handy with some Horsepower and Balls.

My initial sight in and pressure testing show that the brass bust be hitting the large knob (LRTSi with parallax and illumination controls) and getting knocked back into the action on top of the magazine/follower. This is nearly 100% of the time and manipulating the bolt very softly or robustly seems to have same result.....failed ejection.

I really do not have room to move the optic forward or rearward, as the eye relief is perfect.

This a common occurance and is there a clear fix? What's to keep this from occuring even if I swap to a different optic?

ElPollo

WKR
If you can’t move the scope, you can remove your windage knob and replace it with a 7/8” plastic cap that they use for folding chair feet. They sell them on Amazon. I tend to hold for windage, but if your preference is for dialing to account for wind this option may not be optimal for you.

280ack

FNG
Try talking to the people at Long Rifles Inc. I had the same issue with a M700 and they added an ejector-plunger that changed the angle of the brass being ejected. This happened on my rifle because I added a SAKO style extractor and the brass hit the windage turret cover. They may have a suggestion or be able to add a plunger/ejector.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The older I get the more a fully functional rifle becomes more important. Feeding and extracting (which you'd think would be a No Brainer) are often not a Given.

I just snagged a lefty Tikka T3X in 300 WSM. I am planning on having it chopped and braked. I had a Bushnell 3-12 sitting in my safe and planned on this being the semi Ultimate backcountry mountain rifle. Short, Light and Handy with some Horsepower and Balls.

My initial sight in and pressure testing show that the brass bust be hitting the large knob (LRTSi with parallax and illumination controls) and getting knocked back into the action on top of the magazine/follower. This is nearly 100% of the time and manipulating the bolt very softly or robustly seems to have same result.....failed ejection.

I really do not have room to move the optic forward or rearward, as the eye relief is perfect.

This a common occurance and is there a clear fix? What's to keep this from occuring even if I swap to a different optic?

With that scope you either move it forward or back, or higher. After the it’s a different scope.

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
I've never heard of that issue with lefty tikkas. It shouldn't be getting thrown high enough to hit the parallax knob. Can you capture it in slow motion doing that?

xsn10s

WKR
They used to make a rubber stick on pad for the deflector on AR15's. I wonder if you stuck one of those one if it might help. If that doesn't work than maybe taller rings.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have an extra SWFA Fixed 6 I'll sell ya. It's a better hunting scope than what you have, and has no left side knob of any kind. Will resolve your issue.

SouthPaw

WKR

This a common occurance and is there a clear fix? What's to keep this from occurring even if I swap to a different optic?
It must be the added size of the knob from the illumination feature. I have the original LRHS 3-12 without illumination and have never once had that occur in tons of rounds fired on lefty Tikkas with this scope. Both sportsmatch TO84 and 20moa rail + lows.

LRHS 3-12.jpg

OP
J
FWIW...it's in Sportsmatch T084s.

Thought about SloMo video. But I am naturally right handed, left eye dominant. Be a huge PITA to run an iPhone over the top and run the bolt as naturally as possible. I am sure Mrs would video....but what's the points? It's phucked up. Not sure other than as suggested: alternate optic, higher rings (defeats the well mounted low optic and cheek weld principle) or Fore/Aft which tweak eye relief.

I will ask about ejector options.

Hard pass on the SWFA "sales pitch" Laffin'